2003 TALK

• Thread starter waitingpatientlynomore
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waitingpatientlynomore

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
Let's post any rumors or known facts about the 2003 'Bird here. I am intrigued by what I read in another post, about the new chrome strip on the rear deck and the "Robin's Egg Blue" color. I'm surprised if Robin's egg blue is one of the special colors for 2003---kinda close to the idea of Thunderbird Blue for '02, isn't it?

Anybody from Wixom, please help---what do you know about the '03s?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

the robin's egg blue is probably non-metallic and probably doesn't have a green tone to the color - maybe whiskeyman can answer that one for us???

Dot is correct, it is non-metallic.

It is my understanding that the new colors (Robin's Egg Blue & Gunmetal Grey) will start paint in the end of August and the Coral will be a limited run of 500 - 1000 cars in Jan. 03.

-

Is this fact or rumor? What is the source of this information? This is the first time I'm hearing any of this. Wixom---can anybody confirm?

We think that heated seats will be an option for 2003 and perhaps a white insert interior option.
The electric fan sounds like a sure bet. Since I won't likely get the supercharger version, I hope it is an expensive option, so as not to render my 2002 obsolete.
I hear the Jaguar S-Type also gets the supercharger option for 2003.

DEAR FORD:

Please pay NO ATTENTION to that last post about making the supercharger an expensive option.

Sincerely,
A definite future "SC" owner

We will see on the price. Anything under $5,000 for the option is very affordable. Over $7,500 for the option is too much for general consumption.
Now- back to the 2003 Jaguar S-Type R (supercharged). It's a 4.2L V8 with 400 horsepower, 155mph (controlled speed), 18" wheels, rear spoiler and handling suspension.
Interestingly, it takes 70 hp to run the engine at top output so the engine design has to be strong enough for 470 horsepower - (forged pistons, better oiling, etc.)
Perhaps the Thunderbird will get all the same engine goodies in a 4.0L package that puts out a net 385 hp.

wpnm, I can see that being about a $2,000 option on the 03. Look at the differance in the 95 LX and the SC. The LX sold for around $18 to $19,000. and the SC sold for around $26,000. Big price differance for a few more HP. Depends on what you want.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Originally posted by waitingpatientlynomore:
DEAR FORD:

Please pay NO ATTENTION to that last post about making the supercharger an expensive option.

Sincerely,
A definite future "SC" owner

I like the idea of the SC option, but wpnm if I remember correctly, weren't you the number one proponent of the TBird being a boulevard cruiser and not a hot rod? Does this mean you've changed your tune? Also, any word on a 6-speed manual? I think that would be a nice compliment to the supercharger.

-

I did receive word from McLaren finally that some Thunderbirds may make it to their facilities for upgrades to suspension and drivetrain-can you imagine what a Thunderbird would do with massaging by McLaren?

Ahhh! Ahhhh! AHHHH!

------------------
*************, Chairman-Thunder on 66

Excellent point, NMJeff. I'm glad you called me out on my comment.

VERY TRUE--I am the number one proponent of loving the T-Bird for what it is--a 1st class boulevard cruiser. However, I am the first to admit that I can't sit back and not have the best of something--it's a sickness. Therefore, when the supercharger option becomes available, you better believe I gotta have it.

After all, there are no rules on how fast you can or can't go down that boulevard.
wink.gif

Originally posted by waitingpatientlynomore:
Excellent point, NMJeff. I'm glad you called me out on my comment.

VERY TRUE--I am the number one proponent of loving the T-Bird for what it is--a 1st class boulevard cruiser. However, I am the first to admit that I can't sit back and not have the best of something--it's a sickness. Therefore, when the supercharger option becomes available, you better believe I gotta have it.

After all, there are no rules on how fast you can or can't go down that boulevard.
wink.gif

I understand completely, I am the exact same way. However, I am so pleased with my black/silver color combination. I think it's absolutely gorgeous on both the interior and exterior. I could never trade it in for anything else, even with a supercharger. So I'll be sticking with my '02.

Just got in from NY Auto show, 2 birds one blue on blue, vin 110121, other Metalic gray vin 00039 interior of this was medium brown leather , wheels had immitation knock off spinners *throw back to those aftermarket things of the 50's.

Better news, talking to the guy from McLaren in the lobby, he was shoswing a Lincon LS with a 350 hp Eaton supercharged engine with two intercoolers manual 6 or auto 5 speed with suspension up grades. I asked about this comming to the bird, He smilled and said They share the same drive train and frame components.

Tbird is an also ran at this show , stage and marketing focused on GT40 market research

I was at a sneek preview Thursday night at the NY Auto Show and everything was not completly set up yet. I only saw the Gunmetal Gray with the brown interior. I really liked the gray but not with the brown interior. The wheels looked like something from K-Mart (horrible) I notice some other differences, The convertable boot had locks on each side and folded in the middle. Also the chevron (hashmarks) were much wider. I also got the feeling the bird was getting "kicked to the curb" The worst looking bird stuck in a corner in the shadow of the GT40.

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue
1981 Shay ('55 Reproduction)(just sold it)

That car sounds like the show car that toured last year. It was built for Jay Mays and "was a forshadow of some of the changes to come over the next few years. The Grill was recesses as well and I think it was real metal, not plastic.

That recessed grille, with the chrome ring around it, is one of the things I liked best about the show car, and one modification I would make - if I were going to make modifications - to my own car. What did you think of the imitation knock-offs? I had thought that something like the bullitt wheels ("anthracite" spokes, with polished aluminum rims) with knock-offs on them might be a nice complement to that grille. But I'm not sure if it wouldn't be over the top. I think there used to be a similar wheel on the market - was it called "Turbo-Thrust"?

The wheels that you saw on the Bird were Halibrands-Halibrand has gone out of business.

The only part of that car that will see production is the color-Gunmetal Grey.

------------------
*************, Chairman-Thunder on 66

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back