2003 Rear thump at 15 MPH

A

Adelina Brann

Windy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2003 T-bird with 44000 miles. Every time we slow down, coming to a stop, there is a thump in the rear at EXACTLY 15 mph. 4 mechanics have tried to diagnose it and cannot without a tear down of the rear end or transmission. What are your thoughts of a thump in the rear at EXACTLY 15 mph, with no other issues?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Next time manually shift the transmission and see if it happens, could be when transmission
automatically down shifts, slop in the gears, u joints, or even worn bushings on rear differential,
or suspension components is the cause.

Put the 4'digir model year in the subject as prompted on future posts. Added for you.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Next time manually shift the transmission and see if it happens, could be when transmission
automatically down shifts, slop in the gears, u joints, or even worn bushings on rear differential,
or suspension components is the cause.
That would be my suggestion as well as putting the car in neutral and letting it coast down to 15 mph withOUT using the brake, then putting it in the highest manual gear with the select shift 4th ? and doing the same thing agaon, with foot OFF the brake. and see what happens. One or other of these checks should tell if its transmisson related or not. I would do these checks with EVERYTHING out of the trunk except the battery - just to eliminate variables.

Back