2003 P0183 error code

SeanPwnery
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I cannot get rid of a P0183 error code, it continually returns after clearing the code, driving a bit, keying off and starting back up the following day. That code corresponds to a fuel rail temperature sensor (the one on the passenger side rail is all I can assume since I did unplug that and reconnected it later). Kinda curious why simply doing that would cause the sensor to crap the bed. Also, today I checked the Degas bottle and there's a layer of oil on top of the coolant... from what I can surmise, I think I may have an oil cooler failure as there is zero coolant in the oil pan. I had this happen a few weeks ago, sucked out the oil film on top and thought I'd keep an eye on it. It's still getting in there and the only thing I can think of is the cooler is pushing oil into the cooling system. Thankfully it's one-way, and not coolant getting into the crankcase.

Would like to hear your experiences with either the code or the oil cooler giving up the ghost.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The probable causes for fault code P0183 are:

• A defective engine fuel temperature (EFT) sensor
  • A damaged wiring harness causing an open or short to power
  • An improper harness connection
  • A damaged powertrain control module (PCM)
Since you stated that cylinder 2 injector was improperly connected causing a cylinder 2 misfire, I would start by inspecting the fuel temperature sensor connector to make sure that it is not damaged and connected properly.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Turns out the connector on the fuel rail wasn't pushed in all the way ... "two" clicks ... no code ... imagine that šŸ˜Š

Back