2003 MY Allocation / Info | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 MY Allocation / Info

• Thread starter Thread starter WillSD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We received our 2003 Model Year Thunderbird Allocation letter. We are again allocated only 1 Thunderbird; we did receive an additional 2002 allocation due to the extended build. The letter states the following items which are new for MY 2003 (some of which have been discussed in other posts): improved 3.9L 32 valve DOHC v-8 with 280 HP; all-speed traction control now standard; two new colors replacing Inspiration Yellow and Thunderbird Blue (Mountain Shadow Grey [CX] and Desert Sky Blue [CZ]); new Saddle Partial Insert package [BS] which includes Saddle Leather Seats (entire seat, not just insert), Saddle leather insert in the top of the steering wheel and Saddle leather shift knob; newly styled analog instrument cluster; heated driver and passenger seats (included in Premium Arrays 110A and 130A); and new optional Select Shift Transmission [53S].

The letter also states that the 2003 Model Year will only run 7 1/2 months from 11/2002 to 6/2003 and consist of 12,500 fewer units than the 2002 Model Year.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I understand that the Phili region will get 431 bird for 2003 and a dealer which got seven last year will get 3 but every dealer will get at least one.

In addition the heated seats will be standard on premium birds and the select shift optional on on all models.

With such a short run of 2003 Birds, there must be something very significant in the way of a change planned for the 2004's. Assuming minor exterior, perhaps a significant upgrade of the interior.

With such a short run of 2003 Birds, there must be something very significant in the way of a change planned for the 2004's. Assuming minor exterior, perhaps a significant upgrade of the interior.

They plan to produce 25000 per calender year, same as today. It's just the starting and ending dates for the 2003 model year are only 7 months apart.

------------------
Ron

VIN #7729, seq.#7505, blue premium,
partial blue interior, no top, Louisville Ky.

Originally posted by sauernote:
If it is true that there will be only half the number of 2003's produced compared with 2002, what will this do to prices?

Well, I would surmise that prices are not going to go down--that's obvious. Most dealers are still putting on their $2k to $10k additional profit stickers. Logically, the Ford Corp. could raise the price so that dealers would be a little less hseitant to put on the big extra ticket cost. Then Ford would reap the reward.
Popular cars, like the TBird is now, will command high resale and high retail prices like the Porsche Boxter did from 1997 through eary this year. Limited production, good value, did the trick for Porsche. Now, 5 years later the used boxters are available at reasonable prices due to the many lease returns and just the fact that the model is 5 years old.
There are no other cars that grab your attention out there like the TBird. Probably the closest is the Jag XK8--but it's also 5 years old already and of course it is double the price of the TBird out the door. There is the Audi TT cabrio- but it is just tooooo radical. It was a double-- where as the TBird was a Home Run! Red/Black Hdtop,full 2tone interior. BTW my hardtop is for sale- I'll never use it. $3K.

The logic of the situation would seem to indicate that production will be lowered.

7.5 months production period
Dealers alloted half as many T-Birds as 2002

Of course it is simply speculation on our part, who knows what Ford really has in mind.

Looks like there will be aprox 35,000 not 26,000 02 birds, if there will be 12,500 less 03's than 02's in a seven month 03 production run, I guess there will be about 22,500 02's built.
I am far from being an accountant, but the math is not that hard!
Also it looks like these cars will be collectors items in about 25 years. By then, since most of us already are treating them as collector cars, they may be worth a bit less than a classic 1966 convertable mustang with pony interior.Just looking at numbers and availability.
So far the Bond corals will be the collector cars, then the NM. Perhalps the grey 03's with saddle tan interiors, I can not imagine they will sell many of those!

Originally posted by leisha:
Also it looks like these cars will be collectors items in about 25 years. By then, since most of us already are treating them as collector cars, they may be worth a bit less than a classic 1966 convertable mustang with pony interior.Just looking at numbers and availability.

I have serious reservations about most of the current "stuff" that people think will be collectors items in the future. Most of the stuff that will be collectors items will probably be the things we did not think of. I think the first hybrid and electric cars will be collectables, but as for all the other stuff manufactured, not likely imo.

leisha, you mis-added somewhere. Ford has built almost 27000 02 birds and could build between 1 and 2 thousand more before they start the 2003s.

The 02 model year (June 2001 to Nov. 2002) is a near record length (due to engineering delays on the 03) so the 2003 model year will only be from Nov. 2002 through June 2003. They will make less than half the number of 03s as 02s because of the short model year.

KYbluebird, when we took the plan tour, the factory liason told us the extended 2002 production was due to dealer requests for more units in the '02 colors. A high proportion of cars we saw on the line were yellow and blue. Haven't heard anything about production problems with the '03, but if there are I'd guess it would have to be with the engine, since there are no significant body changes.

I can assure you that a model year changover would never be rescheduled because of dealers wanting more of the old colors. A date change affects thousands of people and hundreds of suppliers. I heard that the new electronic throttle system on the LS needed some more work. The same powertrain is used for the T-bird.

I mentioned that I was not an accountant!
I just figured that 4 1/2 months extra 02 production could result in 10000 more cars, at 120 day. At our plant tour there was a mention of around 32500 02's would be built.
Also for a short 03 run at 120 / day they can make around 22000 03's.

I am sure you are right the engine issue caused the delay not dealers wanting extra blue and yellow 02's. It seems like when the dealers quotas were increased, they must have picked more yellows and blues since they knew by then these colors were to be discontinued for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back