2003 Brake oddity?

SeanPwnery
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I know this is gonna sound really weird, but have any of you ever experienced this?

Two times now, randomly, I'd come to a stop-sign and start pressing the brake. Usually I squeeze the pedal a bit and while I'm getting used to a car that now weighs twice what my old one did, I press a little harder and come to a stop. What happened in the two odd instances was bizarre to say the least - I'd press the brake, the car would start slowing down, but then I'd press a little harder the nearer I got to the stop and braking became more difficult.

...and the tachometer would show I'm slowly accelerating up to 2000 rpm! :eek:

Both times I'd still make the stop in time, but I just found it a little strange. I don't have the widest feet, but I have noticed the pedals are a little close to one another so I'm being extra aware where my foot is in relation to the pedal, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else ever experienced this?

I know this is gonna sound really weird, but have any of you ever experienced this?

Two times now, randomly, I'd come to a stop-sign and start pressing the brake. Usually I squeeze the pedal a bit and while I'm getting used to a car that now weighs twice what my old one did, I press a little harder and come to a stop. What happened in the two odd instances was bizarre to say the least - I'd press the brake, the car would start slowing down, but then I'd press a little harder the nearer I got to the stop and braking became more difficult.

...and the tachometer would show I'm slowly accelerating up to 2000 rpm! :eek:

Both times I'd still make the stop in time, but I just found it a little strange. I don't have the widest feet, but I have noticed the pedals are a little close to one another so I'm being extra aware where my foot is in relation to the pedal, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else ever experienced this?
Are you wearing tennis shoes? I have to be carefull with my size 13-14 tennis shoes, mormal width. Had some close calls.
HKS

It's my feet... I took someone along for a ride just now and sure enough, the far right of my boots are overlapping the pedal :rolleyes:

I've also discovered that I shouldn't park the car nose-down in the driveway... I was getting water dripping on my leg at every stop sign for about 5 miles (this was with the hard-top on!)

I'm chalking that up to #convertibleownershipproblems since this is technically my first one.

"It's my feet... I took someone along for a ride just now and sure enough, the far right of my boots are overlapping the pedal :rolleyes:"

Same thing happened to me when I first got my Tbird. I had it probably a month or so when I went to play golf, exited onto a ramp off the interstate, came upon some slow traffic and I hit the brakes, brake pedal went down and part of my right foot overlapped onto the accelerator. I thought WTH? Then I figured it out. It happened one more time, so now when I get in the Tbird I gotta remind myself to get that right foot centered entirely over the brake pedal.

As far as water dripping - take a towel if you ever run it through an automatic car wash.

I found the same issue when I first got my 2004 earlier this year. I try to wear my narrowest shoes whenever possible, and I’ve learned to be extra cognizant of my foot placement. I guess this is better than an actual mechanical problem.

Please include the model year of your car in the subject line when posting. I added it for you.

Back