2003 blower motor for speed control

G

Greggo74

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone replaced the blower motor speed control to fix a problem with the fan speed switch.
When I select a higher or lower speed for the fan, the indication changes but the actual fan speed does not.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone replaced the blower motor speed control to fix a problem with the fan speed switch.
When I select a higher or lower speed for the fan, the indication changes but the actual fan speed does not.

I am currently trying to replace the blower motor speed control on my wifes "03 and so far have been unsuccessful. I tried to do it through the glove box area and got the part loose but it is wider and thicker that the space between the airbox(that the speed control is mounted to)and the blower motor housing. I removed the bottom of the blower housing, the motor and squirrel cage but could not create enough room. The speed control is fairly large, I would say 2"w x 4"h and has fins that are inside the airbox so to remove to you have to come straight out till the fins clear then down. The space between the air box and blower housing goes from wide to narrow so you run out of depth before you get the fins clear.
I know the space between the airbox and blower housing has to be opened up to replace the sensor but don't feel comfortable going further without knowing how.
I ordered a "factory" Ford shop manual for '03 tbird which shows the area and parts but doesn't tell you whether to go from the top or the bottom but it refers you to other sections of the service manuals that weren't included.
I assumed that maybe I needed shop manuals for 2002-2005 thinking the one I ordered was mainly the changes for '03(like an addendum) so I ordered that and it is not specific either.
What I would like to know is;
Is there a Ford shop manual that would list step by step instructions for this specific repair?
Example: Remove dash, here is how to remove dash or go to section 1-2.0 for dash removal how to.
At this point I assume the dash has to be removed but I would like to be sure and have specific instructions beforehand.
Can anyone share some knowledge or suggestions on this process or recommend spot manuals that have detailed instructions for this repair?

Last edited:
Hey Steve...this is great, yet painful information. I haven't had the courage to start taking things apart!
Can I ask the part number of the blower motor speed control you bought and from where? If you figure this out
can I bring my Bird and a case of beer to you ?? :)

Hey Steve...this is great, yet painful information. I haven't had the courage to start taking things apart!
Can I ask the part number of the blower motor speed control you bought and from where? If you figure this out
can I bring my Bird and a case of beer to you ?? :)
The ford part number for the blower motor speed control is 19E624. I know my post was long but I wanted to share everything I know so far with everyone so maybe I save someone from having to waste their time. If I get this thing figured out I will post the update. Right now I truly believe you have to remove the dash and go in from the top but I won't tackle it unless I know for sure.
I saw someone post on a different TBird forum that their mechanic said the shop manual called for 8 hrs labor but he did it in 5. The guy didn't say whether the dash had to be removed though.

The ford part number for the blower motor speed control is 19E624. I know my post was long but I wanted to share everything I know so far with everyone so maybe I save someone from having to waste their time. If I get this thing figured out I will post the update. Right now I truly believe you have to remove the dash and go in from the top but I won't tackle it unless I know for sure.
I saw someone post on a different TBird forum that their mechanic said the shop manual called for 8 hrs labor but he did it in 5. The guy didn't say whether the dash had to be removed though.
Did you ever figure out how to remove that housing? I'm in the same boat. I have removed the glove box, blower motor, and about 6 screws from what I can tell is the lower part of the blower motor housing. I can move rear half (closest to the glove box) side of this housing. All I can see that is left is what looks like a plastic retainer clip/pin going in the firewall, but this is proving to be stubborn to remove. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. On a side note, I finally got smart and realized I should test the speed control to be sure this was the issue...the only thing worse that what I have gone through would have been if it did not fix the issue. I plugged in the new unit and blower while holding it and testing the fan...problem resolved. All that's left is to figure out how in the heck to remove the old speed control unit.

Did you ever figure out how to remove that housing? I'm in the same boat. I have removed the glove box, blower motor, and about 6 screws from what I can tell is the lower part of the blower motor housing. I can move rear half (closest to the glove box) side of this housing. All I can see that is left is what looks like a plastic retainer clip/pin going in the firewall, but this is proving to be stubborn to remove. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. On a side note, I finally got smart and realized I should test the speed control to be sure this was the issue...the only thing worse that what I have gone through would have been if it did not fix the issue. I plugged in the new unit and blower while holding it and testing the fan...problem resolved. All that's left is to figure out how in the heck to remove the old speed control unit.

UPDATE...What a PITA!!! The pin I mentioned above that I couldn't remove is actually metal. I did figure out a hack fix to get around not removing that blower motor lower housing. In looking at the replacement fan controller, the gasket is much larger than the opening needed for the fins to fit into the duct. Using an oscillating cutter I moved the old unit out of the way as much as I could and cut the duct to make the opening as large as possible without making the hole too large for the gasket to cover. Specifically I enlarged the opening by the width of the fins and removed material toward the floor. Removing the bolts to the lower housing did help by letting me move it around just enough to get the new part in. Like I said, this was a hack fix Since the fins are a heat sync I had a thought about removing them and re-applying with epoxy...DO NOT DO THIS!!! After removing the old one I took it apart to check it out. The fins are an integral part of the small circuit board inside the unit, which mean removing the heat sync would have destroyed the new unit. I knew this was not a great idea from the word "go", but after a few hours on my back, upside down, and twisted to get under the dash, I was borderline desperate.

I have not tackled it yet but after buying and reading several shop manuals I am convinced that the top of the dash has to come off. Looks like the top portion is like a cover and once removed there is a clip on top of the blower housing. Operate the clip and the top comes off which allows you to replace the speed control. The speed control is on the passenger side of the blower housing about halfway down and secured with one screw at the bottom.

Does anyone have any steps /instruction as to how to remove the dash for replacement of fan module. HELP. Thanks.

Instrument Panel Removal:

CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to static electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage may result.

1. Remove the front floor console.

2. Remove the LH and RH A-pillar lower trim panels.

3. Remove the LH and RH windshield side garnish moldings.

4. To remove individual components only, carry out the listed steps.

Dash 2.jpg

Item 3: Assist Arm Removal Note: Lift up on the arms when lowering the glove compartment door.
Item 6: Glove Compartment Bin Removal Note: Disconnect the electrical connector.

5. Remove the components in the order indicated in the illustration and table.

Dash 4.jpg

Item 15: Instrument Panel Steering Column Cover Removal Note: Disconnect the electrical connector.
Item 25: Electrical Connector Block Removal Note: Position the connector block aside to access the instrument panel side cowl bolt.

6. Remove the components in the order indicated in the illustration and table.

Dash 6.jpg

Item 27: Defroster Grille Removal Note: Disconnect the electrical connector.

7. Remove the components in the order indicated in the illustration and table.

Dash 8.jpg

Item 37: Instrument Panel Removal Note: An assistant may be needed.
Item 38: Outer Instrument Panel Finish Panel Removal Note: Disconnect the electrical connector.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back