2003 Best Insurance Options? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Best Insurance Options?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gene Everette
  • Start date Start date
Gene Everette

Gene Everette

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I'm looking to purchase an 03 T-bird and am wondering if you guys buy special insurance or do you just put it under your existing policy that you have your other cars insured with. I've checked with my current insurance provider and they will insure the car but it's around $490 for 6-months and didn't know if this was considered high or not. Our driving records are excellent.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, if you are going to limit the miles on the T-bird you can get collector insurance through Grundig. It’s about 300 for the year. You also need to garage the car.

I'm looking to purchase an 03 T-bird and am wondering if you guys buy special insurance or do you just put it under your existing policy that you have your other cars insured with. I've checked with my current insurance provider and they will insure the car but it's around $490 for 6-months and didn't know if this was considered high or not. Our driving records are excellent.
I don't know about the rules in Alabama. In Texas I have mine insured as a "pleasure car" which means I drive it around 4500 miles per year. If I were to take it on a road trip I am supposed to notify my provider. And that only saved me bout 15%. Your quote is a little higher than mine. I am at 390 for 6 mos.

I use Haggerty ,it cost 500 for the year ,no restrictions on mileage ,excellent company ,I have ElCamino with them also !

My quote through my regular Farmer’s agent adding it to our existing policy as a “collector” car was cheaper than Haggerty. Check around.

When you post to the forums, follow the prompts for your subject. Revising now. " Insurance Question... " is now ""2003 Best Insurance Options?"
model-year-TBF.jpg

Last edited:

I am in Huntsville. AL and pay $254 yearly for my 2004....stated value $19,000. This is via Safeco Insurance that my regular Insurance Broker in Birmingham found for me.

I've checked with my current insurance provider and they will insure the car but it's around $490 for 6-months
Who's your current insurance provider? Many variables go into insurance costs including where you live, your age, married/single, under 21 drivers living in household, how much you drive the car, your credit score, insurance score/driving history.

A lot of people still use what their parents had, i.e. State Farm/Allstate, but a lot of these companies have been featured in investigative reports for bad faith insurance practices. People have fender benders and no issues, so that think the insurance company is amazing, but if you have a big claim with medical bills, multi cars, etc that's when things can get ugly! They also like to drop customers, which can result in higher rates for the next company that insures you!

I think Farm Bureau is by far the best priced and also fair about claims for home owners and auto and not dropping customers.

Who's your current insurance provider? Many variables go into insurance costs including where you live, your age, married/single, under 21 drivers living in household, how much you drive the car, your credit score, insurance score/driving history.

A lot of people still use what their parents had, i.e. State Farm/Allstate, but a lot of these companies have been featured in investigative reports for bad faith insurance practices. People have fender benders and no issues, so that think the insurance company is amazing, but if you have a big claim with medical bills, multi cars, etc that's when things can get ugly! They also like to drop customers, which can result in higher rates for the next company that insures you!

I think Farm Bureau is by far the best priced and also fair about claims for home owners and auto and not dropping customers.
I shop my insurance every couple of years. We moved to Progressive last year (due to having a 16 year old and their rates were by far the best). We have great driving records with no tickets accidents, and my wife and I are in our 50's and live on the Ala Gulf Coast. Hagerty did come in a little less plus it's a great policy. I have Found American Collector's Insurance that came in at $392 a year. Best price so far.

Thanks for all the input the group has responded with.

There is NO reason to not use a collector car company if you do limited driving. National Corvette Museum will cover a retro TBird for 6,000 miles a year with FULL "agreed upon" value; not depreciated "stated value" as with regular car insurance. If my 2002 is totaled, I get $18,000 back.

That is a reasonable price for one driven daily in Dallas if you only drive once a year around the block, it should be much cheaper. BTW I found $250 deductible is actually cheaper than $500 deductible here in North Texas.

THANK YOU ALL! I called my broker and he is going to compare a few policies for me as a collector car. We think that this will cut my insurance in half. And lock in the replacement value.

I have collector car insurance on both of my 2002 T Birds, cost is $188 per car per year, garage kept, 3000 miles per
year per car, and we have other cars as daily drivers. Agreed value on each car $20,000.00

Thanks for this.
After reading these comments, I finally went to Hagerty, and for basically the same coverage as my traditional auto policy, with an agrteed value of $20,000, I'm now paying just a little over half of my old premium!

Hagerty might not be the cheapest policy, but they are very competitive. Its their customer service that puts them over the top in my book. Just call them and you will see. I was treated like I was their only customer every time I have called them. They are car people and they get it. Customer service is a vanishing item these days and I for one will pay a little more for great service.
My 1964 Restomod is insured for $25,000 and it cost me $305 a year.
Take care
Ed

At the end of the day, its all about how claims are managed and not a few dollars difference in premium.
National Corvette Museum stroked a no-questions-asked check for over $65,000 for an "incident" in my '63 Corvette.

Hagerty might not be the cheapest policy, but they are very competitive. Its their customer service that puts them over the top in my book. Just call them and you will see. I was treated like I was their only customer every time I have called them. They are car people and they get it. Customer service is a vanishing item these days and I for one will pay a little more for great service.
My 1964 Restomod is insured for $25,000 and it cost me $305 a year.
Take care
Ed
I've been with Haggerty for years one major claim at a car show while my car was parked. Damages were about $7,000, Haggerty said take it wherever you want and have them call us. My 64 had just came out of the restoration shop 2 months earlier, it was repaired including the whole front end rechromed no questions asked!

Thanks for the suggestion - I just changed to Hagerty for my 2004 bird and saved $100/year. But if totaled I will get $11K vs about $8k,
so I think it is a good deal. It is so easy for ins writers to total an older car for peanuts.

Back