2003 7 spoke rims chrome peeling

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The 7 spoke chrome rims on my TBird are peeling. I want to stay with the original OEM rims.
Has anybody else had this problem? Should I look for new rims from Ford or take them to a chrome shop and have them re-chromed? Can this even be done? How have others handled this problem? I also have this problem on the chrome windshield trim.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
BHough56

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good luck on the re-chrome. Having been the owner of a Custom Motorcycle Shop for over 10yr's I think your best bet will be to try and find a "good" used rim/rim's. Re-chroming has become a very costly. Google Chrome platers. Try this guy: http://www.paulschrome.com , also check the local shops where your at.
JMO

The 7 spoke chrome rims on my TBird are peeling. I want to stay with the original OEM rims.
Has anybody else had this problem? Should I look for new rims from Ford or take them to a chrome shop and have them re-chromed? Can this even be done? How have others handled this problem? I also have this problem on the chrome windshield trim.
Thanks in advance!
BHough56
If you decide to go with replacement OEM wheels I have a set in near mint condition that I took off my white 2003 when I upgraded to 2004 wheels because I like the white trim on the center caps. As far the windshield trim, when I was shopping for my car that would be the first I would check...very common problem.....Joseph

I have a set of OEM factory wheels that I took off my 2003 white T-Bird. I upgraded to 2004 Wheels because I like the white trim on the center caps. my 2003 wheels are in mint condition with no peeling or curb rash. As far as peeling on the windshield or windshield bar trim that's a pretty common problem when I was shopping for my 2003 that's one of the first things I checked.... Joseph

I have a set of OEM factory wheels that I took off my 2003 white T-Bird. I upgraded to 2004 Wheels because I like the white trim on the center caps. my 2003 wheels are in mint condition with no peeling or curb rash. As far as peeling on the windshield or windshield bar trim that's a pretty common problem when I was shopping for my 2003 that's one of the first things I checked.... Joseph
I'm interested in these wheels as well as I have the same peeling problem. Can I contact you for more in information?

I'm interested in these wheels as well as I have the same peeling problem. Can I contact you for more in information?
I have had painted 21 spoke and machined 16 spoke wheels chromed but my guy will not do wheels that had been previously chromed. Many owners have changed wheels and stored their Oem wheels for years. IMHO finding this kind of set is your best bet.

Windshield chrome is still available on Ebay but at a cost of about $160+ for each of the three pieces for a total cost of )500. Have recently seen a owner who painted body color and it looked great.

Have had great luck with the mentioned Paul’s chrome but they have gotten horribly expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks in advance!
BHough56
My wheels are peeling too as well as the windshield trim. The peeling on the wheels is (so far) on the back so it's not visible. It does make a racket when a big piece is hanging on and the wheel is hitting it as it turns. I haven't done anything about the peeling yet but will need to some day... when I save up some $$$!! I don't think this has been an uncommon problem with these birds.

Have all same. Just have to rip off those pieces when they start rubbing. Shame. I don't remember any old cars chrome just peeling off like this. The windshield trim is easily avail on eBay.

My wheels are peeling too as well as the windshield trim. The peeling on the wheels is (so far) on the back so it's not visible. It does make a racket when a big piece is hanging on and the wheel is hitting it as it turns. I haven't done anything about the peeling yet but will need to some day... when I save up some $$$!! I don't think this has been an uncommon problem with these birds.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Ford-...=item2869c1a533:g:A6kAAOSwKStbjrrF:rk:22:pf:0

Last edited by a moderator:
Have all same. Just have to rip off those pieces when they start rubbing. Shame. I don't remember any old cars chrome just peeling off like this. The windshield trim is easily avail on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Ford-...=item2869c1a533:g:A6kAAOSwKStbjrrF:rk:22:pf:0
The next thing that happens when the chrome starts to sheet off is smaller pieces coming off of the bead seat. Once this happens the aluminum corrodes because no one ever has a water separator on their air compressor. Once the aluminum corrodes the bead starts to slowly leak, every two weeks topping up a tire that's down to 25psi instead of 32. This gets gradually worse until there a cracked bead and then it's time to buy a new tire.

ANY, repeat, ANY good tire shop will wire brush or grind the chrome plating off of this inside of the rim where the bead makes contact and apply a sealer before remounting the tire. I have had this problem on almost all of the chrome wheels Ive had on various cars over the years and each and every time, Tire Barn, or Mr. Tire, or Discount Tire were able to fix any leaks at no cost. With the salt on our roads (greater Chicago area) this is an everyday issue and all the shops know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance!
BHough56
The rims on 2005 started pealing a few months after I purchased it in 2006. I had an extended warranty I purchased and FORD said they were not covered. They told me then that the company that made those rims as well as the hard top manufacturers and others went out of business. Basically it was MY problem...

if my rims were bad id buy some 5 spoke rims that show off my brakes, red,grooved, and drilled

Thanks in advance!
BHough56
I had a set of chrome wheels for a old PT cruiser that were powder coated chrome from a wheel shop in Michigan. They were absolutely perfect. I ran them for 3 years before selling the car and it only took a periodic cleaning and waxing to keep them looking new. My local shop repairs blemishes so they look like new and cost 25%. There are quite a few 2002-3 used chrome wheels on ebay.

I had a 1999 Mercury Sable that had polished chrome rimes that also started peeling in about 4-5 years.. It was driven in north-eastern winters though.. I have a feeling they were from the same manufacturer who also did the T-Bird rims in question (just a guess).. My 2002 Tbird rims are still hanging in there..

Back