2002 Windshield wiper assembly removal

P

Paul Jr

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am attempting to remove and repair my 2002 T-Bird wiper assembly. Used factory service manual instructions. Removed cowl top vent cover and all specified wiper assembly bolts. The mounting arm and pivot shaft assembly is now loose but I can not remove it. Seems that power brake assembly is blocking removal. Manual says to rotate bottom of wiper assembly upwards to remove but brake assembly blocks rotation. Any tricks to removing this wiper assembly ??

I check with my Chilton manual. It reads: Remove the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft (17566) assembly.
you wrote;
"The mounting arm and pivot shaft assembly is now loose but I can not remove it."
Is loose, removed? and what is "IT"?

The windshield wiper pivot shafts (2), motor, and connecting linkages are mounted on one back-plate that is supposed to be removed as one assembly by rotating upward and lifting out of the area under the top vent cover. Not enough space between the rear of the power brake system to slide the wiper assembly out of the T-Bird.

OK, My book read that you need to remove the back-plate as you call it;
1. Remove the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft (17566) assembly; refer to Mounting Arm and Pivot Shaft in this section.

In order to remove this step 1. it requires this :

Mounting Arm and Pivot Shaft
Removal and Installation

1. CAUTION
    CAUTION: The windshield wiper system has an auto park feature. It is necessary to disconnect the battery.

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Battery, Mounting and Cables.
  1. Remove the cowl top vent panels. For additional information, refer to Front End Body Panels.
  1. Remove the bolts and the strut tower support brace.
A0003509.gif

1. Partially drain the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to Engine Cooling.
  1. Disconnect the degas return hose from the degas return tube.
A0003489.gif

1. NOTE
    NOTE: When positioning the degas bottle aside it will be necessary to reroute the degas bottle lower hose in front of the brake booster.

Remove the bolts and position the degas bottle aside.
A0006631.gif

1. Remove the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft bolts.
A0003875.gif

1. Disconnect the drain boot from the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft assembly.
  1. Position the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft assembly aside, and loosen the upper windshield wiper motor bolt.
A0038684.gif

1. Remove the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft assembly.
    1. Rotate wiper output arm to the six o'clock position.
    1. Remove the lower wiper motor bolts.

1. NOTE
      NOTE: It is necessary to rotate the bottom of the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft assembly upward.

Remove the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft assembly.
    • Disconnect the electrical connector.
A0038685.gif

Now I put in that it was a 2002 TB and the book did not say any difference on any years for this removal.

But I own a 2003 and not a 2002.

And I have never replaced the wiper motor on mine. but I did do the coolant tank (degas Bottle) and that hose to remove behind the L cyl. head is very difficult. Maybe you can just move the coolant tank out of the way with out removing the hose.
when you buy a new coolant bottle it comes with a new hose. and ford want $250 for it. I got mine new on the internet for $38

Moved the coolant tank OK. I got to step 3 and when trying to rotate assembly upward, it strikes the rear of the power brake assembly. Not enough room to remove the wiper assembly. Looks like I may have to move the brake master cylinder also.

I am attempting to remove and repair my 2002 T-Bird wiper assembly. Used factory service manual instructions. Removed cowl top vent cover and all specified wiper assembly bolts. The mounting arm and pivot shaft assembly is now loose but I can not remove it. Seems that power brake assembly is blocking removal. Manual says to rotate bottom of wiper assembly upwards to remove but brake assembly blocks rotation. Any tricks to removing this wiper assembly ??
Why were you removing the wiper assembly. I ask because mine is noisy and may have to replace it.

My wipers stop at about 2 o'clock position when moving clockwise (from drivers seat viewpoint). I can push on a blade and they restart wiping until they reach that same position and then they stop again. When the wipers stop I hear a grinding noise from wiper motor. Sounds like a bad gear in wiper motor. To remove/replace the motor the complete "Pivot Shaft Assembly" must be removed. Ford factory service manual gives complete instructions on this procedure except there is not enough space between the firewall and the brake vacuum housing to slip the "Pivot Shaft Assembly" through to remove it even when rotating bottom of assembly upward per the manual.

Has anyone in this group ever replaced a windshield wiper motor ?? If so, how did you remove the motor without first removing the brake master cylinder and power brake booster assembly ??

Update; Had to take 2002 T-Bird to a good mechanic to replace wiper motor. Took him in about one and a half hours, he said it was a "four handed job". New motor did not fix problem with wipers stalling so it will go back to shop. Probably a bushing and/or linkage problem and these are no longer available from Ford.

Update; Had to take 2002 T-Bird to a good mechanic to replace wiper motor. Took him in about one and a half hours, he said it was a "four handed job". New motor did not fix problem with wipers stalling so it will go back to shop. Probably a bushing and/or linkage problem and these are no longer available from Ford.

Bummer! Keep us updated if you resolve. May help someone else down the road.

Good News !! Finally got wiper problem fixed in my 2002 T-Bird. Problem was the replacement motor ($138) that I ordered from one of the suppliers mentioned on this forum was defective. Motor would operate until the blades were installed then it would fail under load. Mechanic installed Motorcraft (Ford) wiper motor ($100 for motor), works fine now. Is a three hour job for good mechanic to replace wiper motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good News !! Finally got wiper problem fixed in my 2002 T-Bird. Problem was the replacement motor ($138) that I ordered from one of the suppliers mentioned on this forum was defective. Motor would operate until the blades were installed then it would fail under load. Mechanic installed Motorcraft (Ford) wiper motor ($100 for motor), works fine now. Is a three hour job for good mechanic to replace wiper motor.
Do you happen to have the motocraft part number?

Back