2002 Whining noise when car is driven for a while...

C

cdf912

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So here's something interesting, I had this loud whining noise coming from the rear when the car when driven a while. I thought it was an air leak coming from the new fuel pump I just had installed, so I dismantled the curved bulkhead again and opened the fuel pump cover. Nope, no air leak. It was worse when idling, and actually seemed like when I stepped on the gas it would settle down a bit. So I put my ear to every inch and finally traced it to the subwoofer amplifier. I disconnected the amp and loud whine was gone. And the amp was red hot! I know amps get hot but not that hot. Has anyone else ever experienced this before?

So here's something interesting, I had this loud whining noise coming from the rear when the car when driven a while. I thought it was an air leak coming from the new fuel pump I just had installed, so I dismantled the curved bulkhead again and opened the fuel pump cover. Nope, no air leak. It was worse when idling, and actually seemed like when I stepped on the gas it would settle down a bit. So I put my ear to every inch and finally traced it to the subwoofer amplifier. I disconnected the amp and loud whine was gone. And the amp was red hot! I know amps get hot but not that hot. Has anyone else ever experienced this before?
I know the stock radio had a speaker test built in. Time to a music station and press the 3 and 6. Each speaker will play one at a time

I know the stock radio had a speaker test built in. Time to a music station and press the 3 and 6. Each speaker will play one at a time
Thanks but I narrowed it down to the amp. Thought someone else may benefit from my experience. And curious if there are others who have had this happen.

Back