2002 Sudden suspension problems

• Thread starter Frankie the Fink
  • Start date
Frankie the Fink

Frankie the Fink

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So coming home from dinner an hour ago in my 30,000 mile 2002 TBird and I'm 300 yards from home and the car starts acting like its got a flat tire. Every tire revolution feels like I'm running over a tree branch. Nurse it home and NO flat tire - all the tires are right on with tire pressure. Steering still works but something is definitely screwed up.

Haven't crawled under it yet but I can't imagine what's happened, broken strut rod ? "A" arm ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Could be something as simple as having lost a balancing weight off a wheel.

Hard to tell from the information you provided, but it sounds like something happened all at once giving the rough ride. I would suggest jacking up the right side and wiggling the front wheel. If you can’t get movement, try putting a crowbar or 2X4 to get leverage and see if you can detect play. Could be a loose wheel, wheel bearing, tie rod end or shot UCA or LCA bushing. Obviously, if you don’t find anything, repeat the process on the left side. Good luck.

Well dang, I got off easy for once (sort of). I could not see this thing in the dark garage last night....some sort of insulator with a big bolt through it; took a big patch. No wonder it felt like I was off-roading.
Really lucky I was so close to home!
capture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back