2002 refill hydraulic pump refill

R

Rick4852

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to know if anyone has refilled pump for top on 02 Bird. How do you get to it?

The bigger question is "what happened to the old oil? is there a leak somewhere? My 05 blew a cylinder, the replacement cylinders {BOTH, were replaced} were higher quality with all aluminum parts, not the plastic OEM end caps. Take the passenger seat out, remove the boot covering. PITA.

The tank is mounted on the passenger shock strut tower. Easy to refill,
but big question is where did the hydraulic oil go. If tank is empty you
may have damaged system.

The bigger question is "what happened to the old oil? is there a leak somewhere? My 05 blew a cylinder, the replacement cylinders {BOTH, were replaced} were higher quality with all aluminum parts, not the plastic OEM end caps. Take the passenger seat out, remove the boot covering. PITA.
Good question, not sure but has squeeled since I’ve had it.Goes down with no problem, makes noise when trying to raise the top to close it. Thanks for the info, will try that by removing seat.

You are talking about the convertible top pump, the pump is under the storage area for the convertible top, it
is best get to it by removing the fabric in the convertible top storage area. The electric pump has a screw you
have to remove to gain access to the fluid. The cylinders can and do loose some fluid at the seals as they age,
more so if you raise and lower the top frequently. Pump will make more noise when raising the top because it
takes much more pump pressure to raise the top.

Yes my 05 convertible top get stuck when powered down. I have to give it a small push to retract it.. So it must need some hydraulic fluid.

You are talking about the convertible top pump, the pump is under the storage area for the convertible top, it
is best get to it by removing the fabric in the convertible top storage area. The electric pump has a screw you
have to remove to gain access to the fluid. The cylinders can and do loose some fluid at the seals as they age,
more so if you raise and lower the top frequently. Pump will make more noise when raising the top because it
What hydraulic fluid should I use to refill?

It's very common for them to get stuck at the transition on the way down when the top has been unused. Usually after a few cycles it will work without assistance. Some people say to lubricate it.

Exactly how do you remove fabric for access to pump and hydraulics

Back