2002 PATS Problem?

Eskertl
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Great and informative forum. New user. Got my second TBird after a 50 year hiatus. Problem(?): turning the ignition key to position 4 the headlights flash 5 times. Vehicle starts without problem. The theft indicator is on top of the instrument panel. it has never flashed every 2 seconds when the ignition is in the OFF position. With the key in the ignition in the ON position the indicator has never glowed for three seconds. I received only one key and one fob with the sale last October 2021. I had two keys and fobs cut and programmed at the local FORD Dealer. I thought the Passive anti theft system would respond when I unlocked the vehicle with the fob, inserted the key to Accessory, set the driver's window to half down position then removed the key, exited the vehicle and locked the vehicle with the fob. I reached though the window and opened the door with the inner door handle. No response. Question: is the PATS inoperable, non-functioning? Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Can't say but it sure sounds like something is wrong. Even though it has behaved the same since you got the car, since you were able to get a dealer to work on the keys/programming for you, I'd take it back and see if they can do a check for codes or do a quick diagonosis on the PATS system or if you have a code reader, see if there are any codes stored. I would think a PATS error would cause the check engine light to come on but maybe not. Autoparts stores may be able to use their code readers but since there is no check engine light, I don't know if they will actually tell you anything.
Greg

Back