2002 Parking brake - unable to set handle

Pops_02

Pops_02

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
When I pull up the handle to set the parking brake, the ratcheting mechanism won't catch. It is supposed to stop as you pull up, then you press the button at the end to release it. Has anyone had this problem on their T-bird? I definitely need the parking brake if I have to change a flat or to work under the car. I don't want to rely solely on the transmission parking pawl to stop the car from rolling.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sounds like either the spring is broken, or the push button mechanism is stuck. Not a difficult fix.

Sounds like either the spring is broken, or the push button mechanism is stuck. Not a difficult fix.
Thanks for the reply. The button still springs out, but the ratcheting mechanism doesn't catch. I'll probably need a diagram of the parking mechanism to see how it's put together. I will need to carefully remove the leather boot from the front first. Those plastic tabs break easily.

Just a note to all that THIS is a great forum.
Someone is always there to help.
Happy New Year everyone.

A0003589 is not a part number it is an illustration number. I don't think that you can buy any parts for the parking brake control, but you can purchase a complete assembly for $93.00 from Thunderbird Bob.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thunderbird Bob.jpg

https://******************/ols/products/emergency-brake-assembly-complete

Last edited:
A0003589 is not a part number it is an illustration number. I don't think that you can buy any parts for the parking brake control, but you can purchase a complete assembly for $93.00 from Thunderbird Bob.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

View attachment 25812

Thanks, Doug. I probably will have to disassemble the console to replace the brake assembly. There doesn't seem to be much room in the narrow slot in the console. I appreciate the help and advice.

Removing the consloe isn't difficult at all.

1. Position the seats as needed to remove the console.
2. Disconnect the battery.
3. Apply the park brake and place the transmission selector lever in neutral.
4. Pull upward from the front of the trim panel to release the retainers.
5. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
6. Release the park brake boot from the floor console.

Console.jpg
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Removing the console isn't difficult at all.

1. Position the seats as needed to remove the console.
2. Disconnect the battery.
3. Apply the park brake and place the transmission selector lever in neutral.
4. Pull upward from the front of the trim panel to release the retainers.
5. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
6. Release the park brake boot from the floor console.

View attachment 25825
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Looking at the diagram, it should be pretty easy to remove the console and replace the brake handle. I'll be working on it after I pay down a few Christmas bills. Thanks a lot Doug, for all your help.

Back