2002 intermittent starting issues neutral safety switch

Keylargofun

Keylargofun

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've been having intermittent issues with starting my Thunderbird it's a 2002 it's been confirmed by multiple shops that is not the battery on occasion when I get in the vehicle I would have to jiggle the ignition or the parking lever put it in neutral and then it would start.
I started using a battery tender I have AAA come out and again confirm it's not the battery I'm not sure where to have it towed it won't start some of the mechanic shops I called said if it's a computer and has to go to Ford anybody else have issues where the lights come on everything looks like it's going to start but there is no ignition?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been having intermittent issues with starting my Thunderbird it's a 2002 it's been confirmed by multiple shops that is not the battery on occasion when I get in the vehicle I would have to jiggle the ignition or the parking lever put it in neutral and then it would start.
I started using a battery tender I have AAA come out and again confirm it's not the battery I'm not sure where to have it towed it won't start some of the mechanic shops I called said if it's a computer and has to go to Ford anybody else have issues where the lights come on everything looks like it's going to start but there is no ignition?
I had a similar problem starting. I turned out to be the neutral safety switch that indicates where the the shift lever is positioned. When I had it in park the switch was not engaged properly.

Purchase here- https://ebay.us/Yj5Sw4

5W4Z7F293AA.jpg

I had a similar problem starting. I turned out to be the switch that indicates where the the shift lever is positioned. When I had it in park the switch was not engaged properly. I bought a spare directly from Maxxis in Canada.
Same to you I'm hoping this will help my mechanic figure it out I'm not mechanical at all but I thought something similar because I jiggled the key switch and tried to take it in and out of gear I'm hoping we can find one locally from Ford here in Tampa if not I'll tell him about the company you used

I had a similar problem starting. I turned out to be the switch that indicates where the the shift lever is positioned. When I had it in park the switch was not engaged properly.
I had a similar problem starting. I turned out to be the switch that indicates where the the shift lever is positioned. When I had it in park the switch was not engaged properly.
Hi - do you by chance have a part number for this switch? I am having the same issue and do not know how to explain this to my mechanic. I jut replaced the alternator. Drove the car for a couple of days without any problems and went to drive it this morning - it won't start. All the dashboard lights and radio come on, battery is brand new. Thanks!

MODERATOR NOTE-
Part- https://ebay.us/Yj5Sw4
5W4Z7F293AA.jpg

Hi - do you by chance have a part number for this switch? I am having the same issue and do not know how to explain this to my mechanic. I jut replaced the alternator. Drove the car for a couple of days without any problems and went to drive it this morning - it won't start. All the dashboard lights and radio come on, battery is brand new. Thanks!
The shifter plate thread is here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...b-gear-shift-indicator-plate-2002-2005.12542/

According to Alldata, the part number for the neutral safety switch is 5W4Z7F293AA. It is located on the left side of the transmission case. Before replacing the switch, I would check the output signals from the switch with a scan tool. The switch is adjustable and it's possible that it is only out of adjustment.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Neutral Safety Switch.jpg

Neutral Safety Switch 2.jpg

5W4Z7F293AA.jpg

Back