2002 intentionally disabled the driver side air bag | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 intentionally disabled the driver side air bag

• Thread starter Thread starter ktdenn
  • Start date Start date
K
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone,

I have recently come into possession of a 2002 T bird. The elderly previous owner has informed me that she paid a auto repair shop in her small town to disable the driver side air bag. Her reason for this was because she often drove the car with her small lap dog(s) in her lap and was afraid the dog(s) would be harmed if the air bag went off.

I was shocked that a car shop would even consider doing this without installing a key switch but she is certain they disabled the bag without installing a switch in the car. The air bag warning light is on and the computer has a stored code B1932 "Driver air bag resistance high". The air bag fuse does appear to be in place.

Would anyone have any suggestions on a starting point as to how to re-enable the driver air bag?

Thanks in advance for any help with this,

Ken D

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi resistance would mean an open circuit. You'll have to look at the wiring diagram to establish wire color and locations of components and then follow the circuit to find the open spot. They may have just disconnected and protected a wire somewhere, or inserted a blown fuse in that spot?
And of course check the other threads here in the forum to see if there are any tidbits of information to use.
If it were me and I was going to do something like this, as a mechanic, I would not sabotage any of the circuit, just open it, so it could be corrected easily at a later date. Happy Hunting!

So this person, engaging in the dangerous practice of fondling a pet while driving compounds the safety issues by disabling an air bag. Makes perfect sense.

Disconnect the battery,wait 10 minutes and remove the airbag from the steering wheel. More than likely you just need to plug it in.

Hello everyone,

I have recently come into possession of a 2002 T bird. The elderly previous owner has informed me that she paid a auto repair shop in her small town to disable the driver side air bag. Her reason for this was because she often drove the car with her small lap dog(s) in her lap and was afraid the dog(s) would be harmed if the air bag went off.

I was shocked that a car shop would even consider doing this without installing a key switch but she is certain they disabled the bag without installing a switch in the car. The air bag warning light is on and the computer has a stored code B1932 "Driver air bag resistance high". The air bag fuse does appear to be in place.

Would anyone have any suggestions on a starting point as to how to re-enable the driver air bag?

Thanks in advance for any help with this,

Ken D
Ken,
So what did you end up doing on your airbag repair? I wonder if I now own your car? lol, but seriously.

Back