2002 Hard Top Bolt type | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2002 Hard Top Bolt type

• Thread starter Thread starter dwb73
  • Start date Start date
D
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I have one side of my hardtop lock down receiver that might be stripped. The bolt thread looks ok.
I thought I would check the other side for the thread type and run a tap in the suspect one just to be sure the threads seat ok.
Does anyone know what thread/pitch this is?
I’ve looked at M8-1.25 and 5/16-18 and 24. None of these act like they want to go in easily so I wanted to stop and find the correct one before I “screw” up what I’m trying to do.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

IIt could be you bolt isnt lining up with the hole. I would suggest you first pry off the plastic header on your roof. Then you will see 3 bolts holding down each bolthole mounting. They are adjustable. Loosen the bolts on both, set the top in place. The screws should now go in the hole. Tighten the mounting bolts and snap the plastic header back in place. I had this problem once moving a top from another car to mine.

I have one side of my hardtop lock down receiver that might be stripped. The bolt thread looks ok.
I thought I would check the other side for the thread type and run a tap in the suspect one just to be sure the threads seat ok.
Does anyone know what thread/pitch this is?
I’ve looked at M8-1.25 and 5/16-18 and 24. None of these act like they want to go in easily so I wanted to stop and find the correct one before I “screw” up what I’m trying to do.
In case anyone gets to this thread , I found the answer. The correct thread for those bolts is M8 -1.25.
I cleaned up the threads with tap and die. The top went on with no problem.

Back