2002 Fuel Gauge Quit Working

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After filling up the gas tank, fuel gauge only registered a half tank, tried to pull out fast to move the gas around hoping to get the gauge in the tank half that wasn't working but the gauge went to empty, so both pumps are not registering. My question is - must the fuel pumps be replaced for the gas gauge to work, car is running fine. Sits alot, has only 6000 miles.

Rum some Chevron Techron Plus through the system for two tanks of gas. Then re-evaluate...

The code is thrown because the fuel sending unit reading is "irrational"....e.g. a sending unit reading indicating a fuel level that exceeds the tanks capacity....
Greetings, regarding the Techron fuel treatment. As there is no clear visual of the product container I would assume that he's speaking of "Techron concentrate plus complete fuel system cleaner" in the black plastic container. Just want to clarify.

I had the same problem in my 2003 T-bird. Seems that the sending unit float on one of the fuel pumps got hung up. I took it to my dealer who has a mechanic very familiar with the model He removed the fuel pump and sender, cleaned off corrosion and reinstalled. Good as new. If it cannot be fixed, prepare to replace sending unit.

Back