2002 Exhaust, what is what???

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So, I've read plenty of threads on exhaust options/mods etc. But I'm still confused as to what part is what. Resonators, rear mufflers, mid mufflers etc. According to the diagram below, 1/2 are the catalytic converters, 3 on back is the muffler. So, when people say resonator, what to they mean? Is the part that is labeled 3 the resonator and the parts with the exhaust tip the muffler?

217slk.jpg

Thanks, I thought so, but reading different threads and looking at the Borla system (where they call the middle and rear parts mufflers) was throwing me off.

So I have a question, I live in Montana so emissions law are minimal, so can you put regular headers ( I realize the would have to be custom built) on this car and then run larger exhaust pipes with regular mufflers?

So, I've read plenty of threads on exhaust options/mods etc. But I'm still confused as to what part is what. Resonators, rear mufflers, mid mufflers etc. According to the diagram below, 1/2 are the catalytic converters, 3 on back is the muffler. So, when people say resonator, what to they mean? Is the part that is labeled 3 the resonator and the parts with the exhaust tip the muffler?

217slk.jpg
Dump what you have and pick up the high performance Borla exhaust system, front to back (Borla Everything)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been debating the Borla system, but may try out new Magnaflow/Flowmaster mufflers first since it's a much less expensive option. I'd hate to cough up $900 to find that I don't like the sound.

I had 18 inch long Magnaflows installed by a custom shop for around $425 and the sound is there when you get on it but quiet just cruising. I have been happy with change.

Back