1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

2002-2005 Hints for Stone Chip Paint Fixes

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by stevedaphotoman, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Hi all, and this could be for all year T-Birds and Fords and all cars for that matter..

No matter what you do, if you drive it, it's only a matter of time, you are bound to get a few stone chips.. I have about 5 or so two or three on the hood one on the front bumper and on the trunk lid.. I have watched the Dupli-Color video they have on-line on how to touch up the chips

Has any one out there have any other pointers to help make the challenge easier.. The Torch red / Colorado Red D3 color is right on with the Dulpi-Color.. Applying it so it doesn't look like you need Compound W for warts or is another story. I have seen some videos on Dr. ColorChip that looks interesting. If I could only use Photoshop on my car..

Bird52 and Skizix Savage like this.
  2. I have used the Ford paint pen. I tried it first on a piece of paper to see how much paint came out at a time. It was to much for my liking, so I put a drop on paper and used a toothpick to apply. Much more controllable.

stevedaphotoman and Elaineinwa like this.
  3. My first attempt at this I used a 00 or a 000 spotting brush (from my old school days of spotting dust spots on photos) and that's where I got the wart looking finals on the stone chips.. I dipped the brush into the paint that was in the paint pen/paint holder.. I think I needed to use more paint and let it settle in the spot so the paint finds it's own level.. Also perhaps multiple coats would also help.. Try building it up slower..

4. Gus Gutz

Gus Gutz Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

I sure with is was that easy. I have tried this over and over and can never get it to look as smooth as they do. Maybe that is why I do not paint.

stevedaphotoman likes this.
  5. So here is my plan... local dealerships often use a detail and paint service to clean up their used cars for sale. They know how to touch up paint chips and scratches.

I looked into this on my daily driver Hyundai at the local dealership before I moved. I think the dealer pays around $175.00 per car. Check with your local Ford or Lincoln dealer service department. They often have a contact name.

Once I find the person who offers this service in my new town I’ll be calling them about paint touch-up for my Tbird plus my daily driver, probably my wife’s car too.

6. Thanks TNtbird.. That’s a great suggestion.. I was also going to check. Auto body places but I had the feeling they would want to repaint the whole bumper or hood.. I have seen small dent repair in my area also.. I could check with them also.. I will look into my dealer here..

7. I tried it with the 4-5 chips I have.. It looks ok if you squint your eye.. Just don’t look to close.. There has to be a better way..

8. I tried to get "all-in -one", it is not available in soft metallic blue (2005, SP/6966)

9. 02 bird

02 bird Active Member Gold Donor

I have had good success using Lanka chip repair kit. 0217191317.jpg

10. I just spent a couple hours this afternoon reworking the wart stone chip I had on the front nose piece just above the T-bird emblem.. I wish I would of gotten a before photo but I got the after one.. I first used the fiberglass tip on the Dupli-color applicator.. My first attempt at fixing the original chip it looked like a wart about 3/16 to 1/4 inch large.. I scrubbed it with the fiberglass tip.. come to find out there was a chip less than a 1/16 of an inch.. So after trying the provided aplicator brush, I made another mess.. Way to large with that brush.. I tried my 000 retouching brush but that didn't do well either.. I would use a paper towel with some rubbing compound to start over.. I eventually used the provided pen on the dupli-color tube and just spot dabbed small spots to fill it in.. I then used a blow dryer to get the paint to dry to touch where I was able to smooth it out with my finger.. I then dabbed a very small amount of clear coat to finish. Again using the blowdrier to speed up the drying process to the point I could smooth out the spot with my finger before it set up.. The paint or the clearcout was not tacky but plyable so my finger pressure just smothered it out as to not leave the wart look.. I'm pretty happy with the results.. I have 3 more to do.. i feel a bit better about not making a mess of it..

20190217_182306ChipFix.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    ChuckH262 likes this.
  11. Bird52

Bird52 Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

Have you tried it?

12. I used Dupli-color yesterday.. I have not tried Dr. ColorChip.. I wnt to the website and it looked interesting but it was also about $50+ or so

13. Mach5

Mach5 2004 Merlot Lifetime Donor

Your repair looks good.
    (If you're ever down in Maryland please stop by - I've got about a dozen chips that need attention. . . :D )

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!