2002-2005 Hints for Stone Chip Paint Fixes

stevedaphotoman

stevedaphotoman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all, and this could be for all year T-Birds and Fords and all cars for that matter..

No matter what you do, if you drive it, it's only a matter of time, you are bound to get a few stone chips.. I have about 5 or so two or three on the hood one on the front bumper and on the trunk lid.. I have watched the Dupli-Color video they have on-line on how to touch up the chips

Has any one out there have any other pointers to help make the challenge easier.. The Torch red / Colorado Red D3 color is right on with the Dulpi-Color.. Applying it so it doesn't look like you need Compound W for warts or is another story. I have seen some videos on Dr. ColorChip that looks interesting. If I could only use Photoshop on my car..

I have used the Ford paint pen. I tried it first on a piece of paper to see how much paint came out at a time. It was to much for my liking, so I put a drop on paper and used a toothpick to apply. Much more controllable.

My first attempt at this I used a 00 or a 000 spotting brush (from my old school days of spotting dust spots on photos) and that's where I got the wart looking finals on the stone chips.. I dipped the brush into the paint that was in the paint pen/paint holder.. I think I needed to use more paint and let it settle in the spot so the paint finds it's own level.. Also perhaps multiple coats would also help.. Try building it up slower..

Hi all, and this could be for all year T-Birds and Fords and all cars for that matter..

No matter what you do, if you drive it, it's only a matter of time, you are bound to get a few stone chips.. I have about 5 or so two or three on the hood one on the front bumper and on the trunk lid.. I have watched the Dupli-Color video they have on-line on how to touch up the chips

Has any one out there have any other pointers to help make the challenge easier.. The Torch red / Colorado Red D3 color is right on with the Dulpi-Color.. Applying it so it doesn't look like you need Compound W for warts or is another story. I have seen some videos on Dr. ColorChip that looks interesting. If I could only use Photoshop on my car..
I sure with is was that easy. I have tried this over and over and can never get it to look as smooth as they do. Maybe that is why I do not paint.

So here is my plan... local dealerships often use a detail and paint service to clean up their used cars for sale. They know how to touch up paint chips and scratches.

I looked into this on my daily driver Hyundai at the local dealership before I moved. I think the dealer pays around $175.00 per car. Check with your local Ford or Lincoln dealer service department. They often have a contact name.

Once I find the person who offers this service in my new town I’ll be calling them about paint touch-up for my Tbird plus my daily driver, probably my wife’s car too.

Thanks TNtbird.. That’s a great suggestion.. I was also going to check. Auto body places but I had the feeling they would want to repaint the whole bumper or hood.. I have seen small dent repair in my area also.. I could check with them also.. I will look into my dealer here..

I sure with is was that easy. I have tried this over and over and can never get it to look as smooth as they do. Maybe that is why I do not paint.

I tried it with the 4-5 chips I have.. It looks ok if you squint your eye.. Just don’t look to close.. There has to be a better way..

I have had good success using Lanka chip repair kit.0217191317.jpg

I just spent a couple hours this afternoon reworking the wart stone chip I had on the front nose piece just above the T-bird emblem.. I wish I would of gotten a before photo but I got the after one.. I first used the fiberglass tip on the Dupli-color applicator.. My first attempt at fixing the original chip it looked like a wart about 3/16 to 1/4 inch large.. I scrubbed it with the fiberglass tip.. come to find out there was a chip less than a 1/16 of an inch.. So after trying the provided aplicator brush, I made another mess.. Way to large with that brush.. I tried my 000 retouching brush but that didn't do well either.. I would use a paper towel with some rubbing compound to start over.. I eventually used the provided pen on the dupli-color tube and just spot dabbed small spots to fill it in.. I then used a blow dryer to get the paint to dry to touch where I was able to smooth it out with my finger.. I then dabbed a very small amount of clear coat to finish. Again using the blowdrier to speed up the drying process to the point I could smooth out the spot with my finger before it set up.. The paint or the clearcout was not tacky but plyable so my finger pressure just smothered it out as to not leave the wart look.. I'm pretty happy with the results.. I have 3 more to do.. i feel a bit better about not making a mess of it..

20190217_182306ChipFix.jpg

Last edited:

Have you tried it?

Your repair looks good.
(If you're ever down in Maryland please stop by - I've got about a dozen chips that need attention. . . :D )

I used dr color chip on a dark blue Audi A6 with metallic paint. The car was bad, after the application you couldn’t see a chip. You apply the paint into the chip and squeegee it off with a soft plastic tool the size of a credit card. I like it because the repair is flush with the panel of the car. It’s a good product. I’ll get it for my 2005 after I correct the water leak problem I’m having behind my passenger seat

Back