2002-2004 Microphone placement for Bluetooth radios?

TXBluebird

TXBluebird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
For those of you that have replaced the radio with a Bluetooth-capable model for hands-free phone use, where and how did you mount the microphone? Radio makers seem to like running wires up the a-pillar and attaching the mic to the drivers visor. I don’t like that idea. I wonder if it could be placed inside the temperature sensor grid without disrupting its function?

Thanks,
Duane

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

For those of you that have replaced the radio with a Bluetooth-capable model for hands-free phone use, where and how did you mount the microphone? Radio makers seem to like running wires up the a-pillar and attaching the mic to the drivers visor. I don’t like that idea. I wonder if it could be placed inside the temperature sensor grid without disrupting its function?

Thanks,
Duane

The company that installed mine brought the mic in right in the rear view mirror assembly

The company that installed mine brought the mic in right in the rear view mirror assembly
Best Buy put the mic in the same place on my car. On one of our other cars, I moved it from that location to the top of the steering column cover. People sometimes complain that they can’t hear me in that car; the mirror area in the T-Bird let’s me be loud and clear.

Thanks,
Duane
I had my mic mounted right abouve the rear view mirror and it’s mounted below where the top comes down so it really blocks the wind from hitting it when top is down and can still make and hear calls on the interstate at 80 miles an hour My mic swivels as well so I can aim it towards me for better pic up of my voice so for me that spot really worked out well for me and the mic is fairly small so not that noticeable

For my digital media receiver I purchased (on Amazon) a combination plug that incorporates a USB connector and microphone plug. Same size as the cigarette lighter, I replaced it. If you make a lot of calls the instrument panel mike location seems best but if like me and mainly use my cell for music and navigation then keeping the mike put way works too. USB connector built in really convenient although I am reading that the latest version of Android Auto won't need a USB connection for any function.

Back