2002-2003-2004-2005 Ford Thunderbird instrument cluster repair

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Last edited:
Does anyone know what component fails in the instrument cluster? Are there multiple problems, or does a solder line crack, or is it another componemt that fails?

If the cluster is Unmodified they usually do not fail, HOWEVER; if the dash lights don't work one may think its the cluster but its most certainly the FEM (Front Electronics Module) located behind the driver's kick panel and those are repairable to restore the lighting....if the dash lighting is out AND the center console shoft indicator light (PRNDL) is ALSO out then its absolutely the FEM.

This is according to http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html#anchor_176 listed at the start of this thread:

Thunderbird 2002 to 2005 Instrument Cluster (Speedometer Panel) Repair & Return . for Thunderbird Years of: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

Problems: such as BATTERY DRAIN, Does Not CRANK at all, will be fixed.

Repair Cost :$145 plus $55 shipping. Total $200 with Limited 1 year Warranty. Turn around 7 to 12 business days.

I have used this company for FEM, REM and ECM repairs.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

My 2005 had multiple problems on day when I started it.... none of the turn signals worked, hazard lights were inoperative, headlights turned off and on while driving. After researching on here and a few other places found you could get the instrument cluster rebuilt but prices varied between $170 and $1500. I called MidwestTeckmart and told him what was going on and he assured me he could fix it. So after removing the instrument cluster, which was an adventure, I shipped it to them and got it repaired and returned in 10 days from when I shipped it! Total cost was $170.20 and what I paid to ship it to him. It fixed the issues!!

I will attempt to post the procedure I used to remove the Instrument Cluster soon. I found one on here but personally had to change the order of a couple of things to make it easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the cluster is Unmodified they usually do not fail, HOWEVER; if the dash lights don't work one may think its the cluster but its most certainly the FEM (Front Electronics Module) located behind the driver's kick panel and those are repairable to restore the lighting....if the dash lighting is out AND the center console shoft indicator light (PRNDL) is ALSO out then its absolutely the FEM.
I have to disagree with this statement. These cars are 20 years old plus.... they most definitely can fail. Mine did, another friend of mines did and I've seen multiple posts on this site where they have. The Instrument Cluster, FEM and REM are ALL items that can be rebuilt, but they all control different things.

Your best option is to send your instrument cluster in for repair- http://www.automotivemodules.com/Thunderbird.html#anchor_176

Repair Cost :$235 plus $65 shipping. Total $300 with Limited 1 year Warranty. Turn around 5 to 6 business days.

If you want to learn how to convert to LED lights, see this post- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...ster-led-conversion-and-fem-bypass-2002.8475/

View attachment 12415
I agree with the recommendation for the rebuild. March of 2024, I paid $170.20 and had it back in 10 days from when I shipped it. VERY pleased with the rebuild and it fixed my non-working turn signals, hazards lights and intermittent headlights.

Back