2002 2003 2004 2005 Ford Thunderbird 3.9L PCM ECM ECU

In reply #15 of this post, you stated that It was the connection to backup lamp and relay where the short occurred and that you checked every fuse and diode in all 3 fuse boxes. Now you tell me that you you couldn't open the trunk to check the battery. That means that you never checked the fuses in the rear power distribution box. Chances are that one of those fuses are blown or your battery is too weak to supply the proper voltage to the control modules.

In the future, in the event of a battery failure you can open the trunk by using the master key on the key cylinder located behind the driver seat.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

In reply #15 of this post, you stated that It was the connection to backup lamp and relay where the short occurred and that you checked every fuse and diode in all 3 fuse boxes. Now you tell me that you you couldn't open the trunk to check the battery. That means that you never checked the fuses in the rear power distribution box. Chances are that one of those fuses are blown or your battery is too weak to supply the proper voltage to the control modules.

In the future, in the event of a battery failure you can open the trunk by using the master key on the key cylinder located behind the driver seat.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I had power at first and did check every single fuse in all 3 boxes with a meter and replaced the one bad backup fuse in the trunk. A day later after closing the trunk the battery was drained and the key wouldn’t open the trunk. Hard crowd here.

I never meant to come off as hard, I only meant to help you with your problem. You will find that this forum is one of the best on the internet and the members of this group are very knowledgeable.

As far as the key not opening key cylinder located behind the driver seat, did you try all of the keys that came with your car? The reason I am asking this is because my car came with two master keys and a valet key. The valet key is a coded key and will start the vehicle and unlock the driver's door, but it will not unlock key cylinder located behind the driver seat or the trunk release button on the driver's door.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I had power at first and did check every single fuse in all 3 boxes with a meter and replaced the one bad backup fuse in the trunk. A day later after closing the trunk the battery was drained and the key wouldn’t open the trunk. Hard crowd here.
It seems probable that when I replaced the backup lamp fuse, that circuit, which was my only splice in the car wiring, probably is what drained the battery and is likely still a dead short.
I never meant to come off as hard, I only meant to help you with your problem. You will find that this forum is one of the best on the internet and the members of this group are very knowledgeable.

As far as the key not opening key cylinder located behind the driver seat, did you try all of the keys that came with your car? The reason I am asking this is because my car came with two master keys and a valet key. The valet key is a coded key and will start the vehicle and unlock the driver's door, but it will not unlock key cylinder located behind the driver seat or the trunk release button on the driver's door.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Thanks, and no, I didn’t know that one of my two keys might be valet. I’m a new owner. I guess I need to take the other key to the shop that now has the car. This has been extremely frustrating for me, so my patience was a bit worn and it didn’t help for moderator to vaguely complain about my post title that I still don’t get.

Back