2002 2003 2004 2005 Ford OEM ABS Anti-Lock Brake System-Control Module 5W4Z2C219A

biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Common symptoms are ABS light on, Brake Light on.

2002-2003-2004-2005- ABS Control Module- Click here to purchase on ebay

You can also send your ABS Control module in for repair to Module Master-

abs-control-module.pngabs-control-module-2.png

Last edited:
Also this ABS Speed sensor part is related-

Last edited:
You can also send your ABS Control module in for repair to Module Master-

Last edited:
Any help finding a rebuilt one. Really do not want to buy a used one.
This is what I think I need !!!!!
Any help will be appreciated !!!!!

When I drove by TB this morning the ABS and Traction Control lights came on. So took it home and put the scanner on it - no codes. Start the car and the Traction Control light wasn’t on but the ABS was. Turn it off- went inside to get my iPad to ask questions on Google. So I figured it might be wise to drive it again since the Traction Control Light didn’t come on and to my surprise the ABS didn’t come on - so here I am asking question.
To share some history on the car: 2004 with 68,000 miles -I bought the car is past May - I don’t drive it much or very far - 1500 miles since May - and they are short trips.
So should I be concerned?
Thanks

I already did this once but somehow screwed it up. I too had an intermittent ABS and Traction control light on my 2004. No code given but O'Reilly's tech identified front, right sender was problem. ABS signal comes off a wheel speed indicator which I am told may relate to wheel bearing problems. Brakes/bearings are important so I chose to turn it over to Les Schwab for $325. No more indicators at all but we are less than 1000 miles down the road. I am told that replacing these senders is a DYI project. Comments?

Technicial Service Bulletin 04-22-13 explains the extra steps that must be followed when replacing a front wheel speed sensor.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

ABS 1.jpg
ABS 2.jpg
ABS Figure 1.jpg
ABS 3.jpg
ABS Figure 2.jpg

Hello again all- I was able to install the new fuel pump and all is well except after I put it in I charged the battery and when I drove it around awhile and went to restart it the battery was dead- its 6 years old and meter says its shot. while driving, I noticed the traction control light, ABS light and brake light were on. After putting in a new battery those same lights stay on while driving- Any ideas as to whats going on?

Thanks very much and many thanks to Beejan92

Since the traction control light, ABS light and brake light were on, that tells me that there is a faulf stored in the ABS control module. I'll be able to help you if you can tell me what the fault code or codes are.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird blue

ABS.jpg

We are trying to find a replacement Anti-lock ABS control module for our 2005 Thunderbird. The mechanic said that we have to locate the specific part number 3W4Z-2C219-BA or the replacement part number 5W4Z-2C219-AA. We are able to find part number 5W43-2C219-AA but not either of the requested numbers. When we provide the VIN to the website, they say that the 5W43-2C219-AA will work. Should the 5W43-2C219-AA part work or is it that specific that only the 5W4Z-2C219-AA will work? Also, is there a trick to getting the new module to be successfully programmed? I read somewhere that the old module must be uninstalled but I'm not sure what they were referring to.

Last edited:
We are trying to find a replacement Anti-lock ABS control module for our 2005 Thunderbird. Also, is there a trick to getting the new module to be successfully programmed? I read somewhere that the old module must be uninstalled but I'm not sure what they were referring to.
Your post has been merged with a previous post which answers both your questions. Your mechanic should send the unit off for rebuild.

I am more confused now after talking to the mechanic. The part number of the module he removed is 3W4T-2C219-BF. This part worked for years with no ABS light. He said that the module gave a module communications fault code. He put a replacement module in with a part number of 5W43-2C219-BB and is unable to successfully program it. He says that only the original part number 3W4Z-2C219-BA or replacement part number 5W4Z-2C219-AA will work. I have seen that people have had success programming replacement modules with the FORScan program and the OBDLink EX FORScan OBD adapter. Does anyone know if the replacement number part 5W43-2C219-BB should work and what has to be done to successfully program it?

I am more confused now after talking to the mechanic. The part number of the module he removed is
Everything you need to know has already been posted above. The only thing left to do is read it. Stop looking for the part and have it rebuilt.

Since the traction control light, ABS light and brake light were on, that tells me that there is a faulf stored in the ABS control module. I'll be able to help you if you can tell me what the fault code or codes are.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird blue

View attachment 26127
@doug7740 The codes I get are as follow: C1233, C1095, B1342 (I don't get that one), B1676. There are others but, for now, those are listed in the ABS module circuit. I used Blue Driver to get those codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because of the codes you have stored, I would start by testing the battery and charging system.

C1233 – Left front wheel speed sensor input signal missing. Using your Blue Driver, monitor all four of the wheel speed sensor PIDs while driving the vehicle at a constant speed. If the left front wheel speed sensor PID is not similar, inspect the wheel speed sensor and tone ring. Before replacing the wheel speed sensor or tone ring, check the ABS control module output voltages using the chart below.

ABS Output.png

C1095 – ABS hydraulic pump motor failure. The operating voltage required to run the hydraulic pump motor is in a range between 10 and 17 volts. The possible causes of C1095 are:
  • Ground circuit 31-CF6A (BK/YE) or 31-CF6B (BK/YE)
  • Power supply circuit 30-CF13 (RD)
  • A defective hydraulic pump motor
  • A defective ABS module
Use the tables below to test the ABS hydraulic pump motor.

ABS Pump Motor 1.jpg

ABS Pump Motor 2.jpg

B1342 – Indicates a defective Front Electronic Module. Using your Blue Driver, clear the fault codes and see if they return. If fault B1342 returns, send the FEM to:

B1676 – Battery voltage is out of range. The possible causes are:
  • The charging system
  • The battery
  • The ground circuit 31-CF6A (BK/YE) or 31-CF6B (BK/YE)
  • The power supply: circuit 30-CF13 (RD) or circuit 20-CF6A (PK/YE)
Use the table below to test the battery voltage to the ABS module.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Battery Pack Voltage.jpg

Anti-Lock Brake System.JPG

Last edited:
I am so impressed right now, I don't know what to say. Thank you for the info. I'll print that out and get to work.

Back