1st, 2nd or 4th generation t-bird

quickcarl
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I am looking for suggestions in selecting a drivable mini project t-bird. I have a few cars in mind a 55, 57, 60 and possibly a 66 but would appreciate any suggestions as to which generation convertibles might be easier for a novice to start with.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just remember the newer the version they get more complicated especially convertibles. How deep are you willing to go. They are not just tinker and drive.

I am looking for suggestions in selecting a drivable mini project t-bird. I have a few cars in mind a 55, 57, 60 and possibly a 66 but would appreciate any suggestions as to which generation convertibles might be easier for a novice to start with.
1960 of the 3 you listed. 55 is 6 volt positive ground. 66 is great as long as everything is working. there is an electrical and vacuum system in them that is not for the novice or faint of heart. the 58-60 models a pretty straight forward, and easy to work on with plenty of room in the engine compartment. convertibles are a bit more complex 58 to 66. thats my 2 cents worth after having owned 31 birds since 1970. good luck

With me the only candidate was the 55,56 or 57. The later models became more family cars. I love the look and feel of the two seater coups. They really stand out.
I bought a rust bucket and if I had it to do over I would of paid a little extra for one in better shape
I had to replace floor pans, rockers which can add up quickly. Mine was already converted to 12 volt ( you can find them) and overall a pretty simple. Car to work on.
I'm no mechanic but managing ok.
Pick what you love its like a marriage

20200604_192500.jpg

What Max888 said. But the series IV ('64-66) are sports luxury vehicles and real head turners. Plus, you can take more than one passenger with you. And agree that you should try to make sure as much is working as you can, avoid rust buckets and TBirds that have been left out in the rain due to electrical problems likely. Good luck!

As you can see from the replies, there are advocates for all of the years. I have owned/ restored 6 Birds from 56 through 66. The 55-57 are pretty straightforward with 57 being my favorite of the bunch. Once you move beyond that, they become bigger, more complex and difficult. Have not fooled with the 67 body style but assume that they are more complex yet. There are also some "unique" models as well such as the supercharged 57 or the 62-3 3 deuce M code. These are fairly rare. and fall more into the "collector" category. If you are just looking for something easy to maintain that is just fun to drive and will not " break your bank" in maint. costs, I would stay with the 57.
Great style, smaller so that it does not eat up as much garage space and a blast to drive. Bad news of course is that it is the most popular of the 55-57 run ( read more expensive). Now if you really want to get silly, the convertible you see parked in front of the Dairy Queen is a 62 M code Sports Roadster.
Good luck.

Baby birds are the most valuable when finished to factory specs. I have had 1962 M code hard top with all the chrome, and 2 baby birds that I have take to factory specs. To cruise the big birds are the way to go. But to get the thrill out of owning a Thunderbird go small. Enjoy the looks and " what years is it" questions,
Plus get something that is not BLACK< RED< WHITE,. find a rare color, IE Bronze and or Gunmetal Gray do some home work, and ENJOY.
Richard

Baby birds are the most valuable when finished to factory specs. I have had 1962 M code hard top with all the chrome, and 2 baby birds that I have take to factory specs. To cruise the big birds are the way to go. But to get the thrill out of owning a Thunderbird go small. Enjoy the looks and " what years is it" questions,
Plus get something that is not BLACK< RED< WHITE,. find a rare color, IE Bronze and or Gunmetal Gray do some home work, and ENJOY.
Richard
Hey ,hey, hey, Don't trash the most popular colors unless You want people asking 'is that an original color?', Light blue excluded. When I bought my '57 over 45 years ago it was a navy blue with white hardtop and interior. It needed body work and in the process found it was desert rose originally. Not a guy color so painted it colonial white. So white on white. It just makes the lines stand out instead of the unique color.

Unlike the cars of today, the cars of the 50’s were colorful and classy. Colors like Peacock Blue, Goldenrod Yellow, Willow Green and Dusk Rose were as common on the cars of the 50’s as Silver, Gray, Black and White are on the cars of today.

In 1955 the Thunderbird only had 5 colors to choose from. Raven Black was the most popular color with 30%, while only 5% of these Thunderbirds were painted Goldenrod Yellow.

In 1956 Ford doubled the color palette on the Thunderbird to 10 colors. Again Raven Black was a popular color with 24.7%, but Colonial White was also popular with 24.7%. Goldenglow Yellow was the rarest Thunderbird color with 1.6% produced.

In 1957 Ford added another 5 colors to the Thunderbird lineup. Once again Colonial White seemed to be the most popular color, because 25.6% were produced, while Seaspray Green is the rarest color with only 0.3% produced.

See attached.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Thunderbird Colors.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 1
I'm an old guy and have owned a number of old Fords myself. I own a 1955 TBird now. A few things to keep in mind. The 55-56-57 TBirds were small cars. Anyone over 6' tall is going to find them a tight fit. I am 5' 11" and I can make it work if I pull the steering wheel all the way out and adjust the seat back. These are simple cars mechanically. 1955 TBirds are the least expensive. 1957s are the most expensive. The 55 Tbirds came with a 6 volt electrical system. I changed my 55 to 12 volts and it's an easy job. If you are into performance, the 1957 and up engines are better. My 55 TBird has been modified with a 57 engine, hot cam, disk brakes, aluminum radiator, radial tires, Etc. Nothing has been done that can not be reversed and I kept all the original parts. You will want to buy the best car you can. There are a lot of these cars for sale. Accept zero rust. Expect rust and look for it. A pretty paint job can cover up a lot of problems. These cars are depreciating. Today's kids don't lust after them and they are afraid of the older engines. This creates an opportunity to buy a nice car for less than they were ten years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my '56, though a friend said it was the 'ugliest year for the T-bird'. She's relatively easy to work on, and I enjoy turning the occasional wrench. As for the colors, I had to have black with a red interior; it was just what caught my eye. As the young people say now, you be you. But, Frank had a black '55 and Marilyn had a black '56. I'd say a black '56 is good enough for Jeff!

Hey ,hey, hey, Don't trash the most popular colors unless You want people asking 'is that an original color?', Light blue excluded. When I bought my '57 over 45 years ago it was a navy blue with white hardtop and interior. It needed body work and in the process found it was desert rose originally. Not a guy color so painted it colonial white. So white on white. It just makes the lines stand out instead of the unique color.
OK I have to correct myself. My original color was Coral Sand. I almost went with the bronze when I painted it but the Colonial white was the most iconic and shows the lines best. Thanks Doug, Your post was most enlightening.

I love my '56, though a friend said it was the 'ugliest year for the T-bird'. She's relatively easy to work on, and I enjoy turning the occasional wrench....

you talking about the car or the friend?

you talking about the car or the friend?
LOL.... I admit I'm biased but I think the '57 had the most graceful lines, But none of them were 'ugly'. Aero designs were in there infancy when they were first being produced. Even the next generation had wonderful lines. They are rare now but remember the '59 Chevy's with their huge flat fins?

LOL.... I admit I'm biased but I think the '57 had the most graceful lines, But none of them were 'ugly'. Aero designs were in there infancy when they were first being produced. Even the next generation had wonderful lines. They are rare now but remember the '59 Chevy's with their huge flat fins?

Todays cars are pretty much, all the same. Look at the SUV. Is there really any difference?

The cars in the 50's and 60's had some character. Today's lines are all about conformity.

Back