1990 Thunderbird SuperCoupe Won't Start

EveryDayBirdStuff

EveryDayBirdStuff

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 90 TBird SC, the car sat for about 5 months. Went to move it to do some work on it and no fuel pump, car turned over no problem, but no fuel pump then. So pulled it into the shop dropped the tank and replaced the pump, but still nothing. so I started off by checking power at the pump, no power. So checked fuses and relays, they were all good. Then feared a broken wire, but that all checked out fine. then started to poke around under the hood and found that there was no spark as well. The car is showing 136,000miles, with a factory Ford SC rebuilt motor and rebuilt trans. Car ran before and after motor and trans builds. I am at a lose for this, I am completely lost with this Bird.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi I have five of these I restore them what you want to check is the coil pack where all of the plugwires join right behind the alt also check the ignition control module next to the A/C compressor now you might want to pull it up and add some dialectic grease between it and the mount base and make sure it's clean and be generous with it any parts store has it let me know and I'll walk you through any more if needed

I will clean the DIS box plate and grease it, and I will check the plug on the coil. And my profile pic is my 1988 Thunderbird Sport Coupe with factory center console shifter. I replaced the hood, header panel, bumper cover, and finders from a basket case of an 87 Turbo Coupe.

Cleaned the mounting faces, cleaned the plugs, and cleaned the coil plug. Still no signs of life.

did you add the diletic grease to the surfaces if so and it does not start you might want to look into replacing the ignition it's not cheap so make sure that is it before purchasing but as long as I have been working these that is usually the problem that or the coil pack now the coilpack is fairly cheap at Rockauto the control module not so cheap but hey if tou want it run nice and smooth it would be wise to change the coil pack anyway no telling how long it's been on the car also check for any rat chewing on the wires if it's been sitting along time

Dude I'm pretty good with these SC's wish I was there I could get that baby rolling lol but I would suggest that the coil pack be changed anyway cause you don't know what kind of condition it's really in but my money is on the big money ticket that control module maybe the culprit it's right near the A/C compressor I've had this happen on a few of my SC's this is why when I see them at the wrecking yard I'm all about taking everything I can off of them like these components and know this these cars are tempermental when they're running they're gold,but when they act up then watch out they are a real pain to deal with most shops shy-away from them even the so called Ford dealership but I'l be with you on this and do what I can to get you going no problem I don't know what area you live in but if you want you can contact me at onizine1@********* and then I'll give you my phone number to talk directly if you need to dude, Tony

I really appreciate all of the help. I have the coil, and that is getting changed out later today. Again I really appreciate all of the help, I don't really mess with these SC's. I work on the older foxbody cars a lot more then any other car. I will give updates as I change the coil. If I have anymore questions I will let you know.

It's the control mod the sits on or next to A/C compressor on it's own bracket mount four little bolt type screws holding in place two plugs one on each end it's called ignition controller but yes I believe it's the DIS

But you never answered me the car in the picture that bird you're showing this is not the one you're referring is it cause that there is a 88 turbo coupe

My bad I didn't read carefully you did mention that but the quarter panels and entire window scheme resembles a 88-87 turbo coupe and I don't think the SC's doghouse would fit on an 88 cause the SC is a MN12 frame and the 88 were pre MN12 I want to be certain we're on the same page don't wanna give any wrong info to you but i'ts weird that it seems to be the correct info so far lol

Lol yes I am talking about the MN12, not the Foxbody for my profile pic. My profile is an 88 Sport coupe, the car in question is a 90 SC

OK then the DIS is what could be the no start problem I've this happen to many of SC's that I've personally worked on and believe me but I'm no expert I have let this be known lol but I do have a vast knowledge of these babies they are my automotive passion second to none

I will try the DIS box again, what are the chances that the crank position sensor could be bad? I have read in the Haynes book that the CPS controls the fuel pump and ignition.

If you want you can try it but locating a replacement maybe difficult But I've only seen those cause operating problems once car is running but hey if the book says it will then I say try it out and see but the control mod will be needing replacement there's no fixing it other than making sure there's a good contact with it's mounting

I checked the car with a replacement Control Module and nothing. Re-replaced the DIS box, nothing, and replaced the key switch plug under the steering column. After all of this, the ALARM light on the dash comes on when I crank the car over.

Just a question, but what controls the priming of the fuel pump/running of the fuel pump and ignition. This may help to, but when the fuel pump went out, so did the windows and the sunroof.

Got the car to start, I have spark now, but still not fuel pump. No spark was caused by loose ground, and the 5th wire on the CKP. But still no fuel pump.

Back