1989 Thunderbird Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator Location

daisyd
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey everyone. We have called ford, looked at shop manuals, pulled the dashboard and instrument panel apart.... and we can not locate the voltage regulator to it. Basically, no lights for the panel come on. All lightbulbs are intact and wiring appears okay. One of the manuals said it would be one of two issues: bad voltage regulator or fuses. Fuses are all good.

Anyone know where it (instrument panel voltage regulator) is located or have a picture to share? We have been told this is an obsolete part by Ford. Car runs and is in amazing shape but without a working dash, we are out of luck and will have to trash the car.

Please help if you can,
Thanks Chrysta

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Subject "1989 Thunderbird Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator" changed to '1989 Thunderbird Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator Location'

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 11.45.07 AM.pngHello, for 1989, Ford changed the layout for the interior fuse panel from 1988. The fuse panel is located under the instrument panel, left of the steering column.

There are two possible fuses that control the instrument panel lights. First is number 14, for instrument panel illumination with a 5 amp fuse, that provides voltage to the following items:
PRNDL Light & VMM, Electronic Instrument Control Switch, Instrument Panel Illumination, Compact Disc LCD, Radio, Radio LCD, Ashtray Light, Rear Defrost Switch, A/C Heat Selector Switch.

Are any of those other items operating? If not, I've attached a screen shot photo of the fuse to check. Its number 14. So try this and let me know if it takes care of your issue. If fuse 14 is okay, check fuse number 18. Fuse 18 controls:
Instrument Panel & Map Lights, Glove Box & Trunk Lights, Anti-Theft Light In Cluster, Daytime Running Light Module, Power Mirrors, Keyless Entry Module, Door Courtesy & Vanity Lights, "C" Pillar & Dome Lights.

There is no mention of a dash panel voltage regulator anywhere in my shop manual.

Good luck.

Back