1977-1978 dash lights dim

ACinTN
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So, I've replaced my factory bulbs - and, my dash lights are still dim.

I like the "green" look - and, I'm concerned that putting 194 LED bulbs x ever how many it is may cause the color look not to be right.

I just can't see anything. I 'can" - but, it's not easy.

Thoughts?

I installed LED lights in my 1979 Bird because I drive it everyday, frequently at night. I have the deluxe sports dash that normally comes with the Heritage Edition and Towne Landau. The LED lights made a world of difference in terms of visibility at night, but retained the factory "look." So, I recommend any variation of LED lights. Go for it!

I have noticed the same issue. Glad I found this post - I will try LED bulbs to brighten my dash lights :)

You can also try a higher amperage alternator. Would help making the lights brighter. I too ma interested in replacing my lights on my 69 with LED, but right not I just won't because it will screw everything up with the sequencer.

I only did the dash lights with LED. Turned out very nice. Even the dimmer worked with them. The rear lights....if your system works, you better not touch it.
Of course there is a conversion kit on the market with brighter LEDs, but expensive

I only did the dash lights with LED. Turned out very nice. Even the dimmer worked with them. The rear lights....if your system works, you better not touch it.
Of course there is a conversion kit on the market with brighter LEDs, but expensive
Changing the markers will mess with the sequencer. I think they are all connected. I'll have to look at the wiring diagrams (I have the original ones from Ford), but I think its all together and will mess up your sequencer if you did. Though I would recommend replacing the sequencer with a modern solid state one. There are a few available for like $150 to work with LED's

Yes, I know, but all together with these 8 bright LEDs calculate about 320.00 for all. I guess I will stay with my original bulbs. They are not to bad.

Yes, I know, but all together with these 8 bright LEDs calculate about 320.00 for all. I guess I will stay with my original bulbs. They are not to bad.
True its costly, but with that cost you get much less heat, power consumption and longer life. As with any modification/conversion it is usually how much do you want to spent vs is it really worth it for you.

While on the subject, I installed what LEDs in my dash that I could reach. I couldn't pull my instrument cluster out more than an inch, except for the clock. I couldn't see well enough to disconnect it. Any advice on how to access it better?

I have encountered the identical problem with a 1978 T-bird and was only able to replace the bulb on the clock and one on the remaining instrument cluster. The main instrument cluster could only be pulled forward about an inch. Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

In order to pull out the cluster, you need to disconnect the speedo cable from the back of it. It clips off w/o any tools but you need to fish your hand up under the dash to get to it. Google it and youll see its a simple clip.
Side note: when i changed my cluster to the sport gauges, I too thought it wasnt bright enough so i took it apart and removed the blue/green lenses so it would glow with the natural bulb light. It came out awesome and gave it that real old school look!

Thanks for the information & suggestions which will come in very handy when I get around to completing this final part of the 1978 T-Bird restoration next spring. The car is not winter-driven.

Back