1969 Thunderbird tilt-away steering hissing noise.

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
As per the title when the car is started there is a hissing noise coming from the steering column or somewhere close. Sounds like a sucking sound maybe? I just installed a new check valve on the power booster which enable me to hook the tilt-away vacuum line back up to it. Moving the shifter lever a bit can stop the hissing noise. Though eventually it comes back. I am guessing its something in the steering column itself?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Oh man, if I would have this problem I would have asked you.....My tilt away is not working at all - all I get when setting in park and open the door is a sign of movement. Like it wants to do its jobb, but stopped of something. I never cared, as I dont really need this option.
At the moment I will not even think about this issue as I just have my car back from a pro-paint-job and now I will need at least a week to put it together again. When all is back on the car I will be a proud chap as this car is back to new again in every detail ( beside the tilt away steering column -;) )

By the way - let us now what you find out - maybe this helps me too solving my problem - Cheerio

Well mine works, but it feels like it the issue is in the column itself. Perhaps the vacuum can for the tilt-away itself could be leaking. I am not really sure. Though I will agree with you if it never worked in the first place I would not have cared. But it did work and I actually found an OEM check valve with the port for the tilt-away. I guess I just have to dig into it and see whats leaking.

Thanks for reply. I installed the Pertronix into my distributer too and it works great for me. But I also installed a new high-power coil with 12 V direct (without resistor) Car starts like never before and I do not have to worry anymore for points and condensor. What I have not checked is if it uses less fuel than before ( as they so in theyre comercial)

Bad neutral safety switch

It does on Flair Birds
Okay so hopefully I can still get this switch. Right now though I am more concerned with just getting the car running right again. I'll just for now block off the tilt-away hose and run a single check valve for the brakes.

On top of the column under the dash is a plastic valve that distributes vacuum as the shift lever is moved. It should control the auto emergency brake release and the tilt feature. It may be cracked or broken or maybe just disconnected. You may need to remove the panel under the dash to access it, or it may be up further on the column.

On top of the column under the dash is a plastic valve that distributes vacuum as the shift lever is moved. It should control the auto emergency brake release and the tilt feature. It may be cracked or broken or maybe just disconnected. You may need to remove the panel under the dash to access it, or it may be up further on the column.
Okay! I will check that out next time I get the car out of storage.

Thanks for reply. I installed the Pertronix into my distributer too and it works great for me. But I also installed a new high-power coil with 12 V direct (without resistor) Car starts like never before and I do not have to worry anymore for points and condensor. What I have not checked is if it uses less fuel than before ( as they so in theyre comercial)

Hi, I did the same and got excellent results. MPG will never be good in these cars !

Hi, I did the same and got excellent results. MPG will never be good in these cars !
Hi there. Just FYI I’ve put K&N air filters on my cars and as a result improved gas mileage by 2 mpg on average. Not to mention better performance and throttle response.

Back