1969 Thunderbird stumbling during acceleration

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys I just got done installing a new distributor, coil, plugs and some other things. Now for awhile the car ran good. No issues. Sadly as of late she is back to stumbling again during acceleration. Say when taking off from a traffic light. Idle is nice and smooth. No issues there as well as top end cruising the car seems pretty smooth. It’s only when you step on the pedal will she stumble and hesitate a bit. Then it will catch and take off. What could I possibly be looking at?

Oh and on a unrelated note I recently picked up a engine cylinder camera and upon inspection of the cylinders they seemed almost perfect. Tops of the pistons are practically clean with just a very slight bit of carbon buildup. You can also still clearly see the honing marks on the cylinder walls. Any opinions on this too? I am just trying to find out more and get a good idea of what I got before I dig into the engine and start adding more performance parts to it.

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Check the accelerator pump to make sure the linkage is properly adjusted and you're getting the full squirt of gas.

Sounds like good news on the cylinders.

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Check the accelerator pump to make sure the linkage is properly adjusted and you're getting the full squirt of gas.

Sounds like good news on the cylinders.
Okay I was kinda too leaning towards the carburetor is giving out on me. I don't know it's age and honestly I am at the point of dropping the cash for a new carb and intake. Thanks for the heads up!

It's easy enough to rebuild the accel pump if that's the issue.

It's easy enough to rebuild the accel pump if that's the issue.
I wanted to go bigger on the carb anyway. Currently I believe its a 600 holley on it. I am looking into getting a holley 750 with a new edelbrock performer intake. Also I am going to be later doing a compression test. After seeing that they cylinders look okay. I want to actually pull those heads as they are pretty restrictive and get a set of heads that breath easier. Thought thanks again for the intel on the carb being my probably issue. I'd hate it if the new distributor was taking a shoot on me already. I was looking into the weiand intakes, but it sadly seems a lot of their stuff now is made in china and I really don't want that cheap shoot on it.

Back