1966 Thunderbird Convertible Q-code (428 V-8) for Sale

wildaboutwildcats

wildaboutwildcats

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This 66 Thunderbird Convertible is for sale at Hemmings Auctions. Please go to https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1966-ford-thunderbird-4 to place your bid. Auction ends Thursday, May 27, 5:00 p.m. Eastern.

This Bird checks all the boxes:

· ’66 Convertible (last year for T-bird convertibles)
· Optional 428 V-8 engine (Q code, 7.0 liter) with 345 HP
· Factory air conditioning
· “Roadster-package” tonneau cover
· Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels
· Vintage Burgundy Metallic (the quintessential mid-60s color) with Burgundy interior
· Fresh restoration

This car has just undergone a nearly one-year restoration, including a new convertible top with the entire power top system recently refurbished and working exactly like it should. There's much more: An all-new brake system from master cylinder to brake booster to calipers (front disc brakes were introduced in 1965). Rebuilt transmission. Rebuilt carburetor. Many more new parts, including radiator, starter, and more. Clean, rust-free body and undercarriage. This car has been pampered and presents itself as an all original show car.

Equipped with the much sought-after 428 V-8 and all the other highly desirable options, this car is also a rare Bird—one of only 74 convertibles built in 1966 with the 428 engine and factory air conditioning. The large 7.0 engine turns this personal luxury car into a muscle car. Feel the smooth, responsive power plant rated at 345 HP paired with the bullet-proof 3-speed C6 Dual Range automatic transmission. It's a collector's dream with its well optioned features, and the fact that it is the last year of the Flair Birds and the last year for the T-bird convertibles until the 2002–2005 Retro Birds. It's a rare opportunity to get everything you're looking for in one beautiful, restored package.

IMG_1692.JPGIMG_1695.JPGDSCN5336.JPGDSCN5341.JPGDSCN5453.JPGDSCN5465.JPGDSCN5471.JPGDSCN5474.JPGIMG_1698.JPGDSCN5352.JPGDSCN5353.JPGDSCN5374.JPGDSCN5380.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I just featured your car on our social media and weekly newsletter @wildaboutwildcats ! Good luck with your sale.

Back in the mid 70's I had a 66 Bird Convertible with 428 engine, electronic ignition that didn't work (I bypassed it), Air Conditioning, reclining passenger seat and power windows. It was in sad shape when I got it, but I rebuilt the engine, installed a new top and repainted it the original sautern gold. Sold it to a guy that was looking for a Bird convertible in the late 70's.

Back