1966 Master Cylinder Failure

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all. I have a new to me 66. It already has the dual master with the cross member trimmed. It has front and rear drums. At some point I want to change the fronts to disc. But at this moment I just want it to stop.

The current problem is that I can get the rear brakes bled but I can’t get the front to bleed. I can loosen the lines and fluid will come out but no pressure when bleeding.
I think the master is bad. What can I change it out with since the cross member is already trimmed.

thanks
Bill

As noted in previous message "Ford Thunderbird" is not needed in subject since we are a Ford Thunderbird site. Thanks for posting.

Hi all. I have a new to me 66. It already has the dual master with the cross member trimmed. It has front and rear drums. At some point I want to change the fronts to disc. But at this moment I just want it to stop.

The current problem is that I can get the rear brakes bled but I can’t get the front to bleed. I can loosen the lines and fluid will come out but no pressure when bleeding.
I think the master is bad. What can I change it out with since the cross member is already trimmed.

thanks
Bill
first thing, a 66 should have front disk brakes from the factory as they were standard equipment starting in 65. a 67 mustang dual master cylinder will bolt right up to booster. can be bought at most auto parts stores.

weird, I'm no expert but I thought the 66 always had the front disk brakes. My reccomendation if you want the car to stop put the disc brakes on it.

Thank you all. I went back and it was a ‘64! Now I need to look up brake swaps. I found some kits on eBay but I think I’d rather swap with a later model Ford.

Maybe brake hose is collapsed internally did you only try one front cylinder? Do you have a compensator valve? Maybe aggressive bleeding caused valve to shift and shut down front lines.

Idk about compensator valve. I tried bleeding both front. You can crack the lines at the rubber hoses and fluid runs out. But no squirting from under pressure. Rears work fine.

i have a 66 parts car with all the brake systen intact. all i need is to roll onto a trailer to go to recycle sometime soon. this could be an option for you but I would go with a new booster and cylenders. Just thinking because this car is a doner car and is going to be recycled.

Can anyone confirm that I can do a direct swap of a 1966 disc brake system to a 64 drum brake system? What would I need? Upper/lower control arms, spindles, rotors and brackets?

Not an expert, but at least the calipers ,rotors, proportioning valve and possibly the spindles. Front brake hoses probably different

i have a 66 parts car with all the brake systen intact. all i need is to roll onto a trailer to go to recycle sometime soon. this could be an option for you but I would go with a new booster and cylenders. Just thinking because this car is a doner car and is going to be recycled.
Just make sure you strip EVERY thing off first. Especially the trim and dash parts. Don't know where you are But check out T-Bird wrecking yards, It may be that they will take it off your hands at their cost and reclaim everything possible. Some things are irreplaceable.

Just make sure you strip EVERY thing off first. Especially the trim and dash parts. Don't know where you are But check out T-Bird wrecking yards, It may be that they will take it off your hands at their cost and reclaim everything possible. Some things are irreplaceable.
Good advice, Im in sacramento area of california dont want any parts to go to waste.

Not an expert, but at least the calipers ,rotors, proportioning valve and possibly the spindles. Front brake hoses probably different
what about the brake lines for the swap could they be different diameter for the disc set up verses the drum brakes in discussion with NCMODELA for his disc brake swapnsince i have an intact 66 brake system he may want to use for his car

I didn't consider the brake lines, assumed new ones would be made

I'm no expert on converting brake systems, As you state you have fluid but no pressure. I wouldn't blame the master cyl but look down line. I assume there is a proportioning valve installed, was it properly primed or maybe a stuck valve.

ward

ward 57, do you think I should save the rear end?

Ok. Thank you. I did not think of a stuck proportioning valve. How would I know if it’s a master or valve?

fwiw. This car has been sitting for at least 12 years. That’s why I went to the master diagnosis.

ward 57, do you think I should save the rear end?
I'm thinking that if you can find a salvage yard not just a crush and recycle the good steel. I'd do my due diligence and seek out some local clubs and ask them. May find some good friends in the process. Don't deconstruct it other than what you need as a donor.

Last edited:
good advice, I'll look into that.

Back