1966 Bad Motor Mounts? Engine angled

cwink5
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
is this caused by Bad Motor Mounts? The Fan has a obvious / Angle, Car would previously throw off/eat belts possibly related?

Attachments

• 844E7E0A-EE11-4CE1-A11A-1E0A99F3C7FF.jpeg
    844E7E0A-EE11-4CE1-A11A-1E0A99F3C7FF.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
  • A3AA6599-C2E1-4776-B38B-E686924A1DFC.jpeg
    A3AA6599-C2E1-4776-B38B-E686924A1DFC.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 4FC3CF33-5F2B-45DB-8A03-F0525BCCB077.png
    4FC3CF33-5F2B-45DB-8A03-F0525BCCB077.png
    12 MB · Views: 27

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The pulleys and mounting brackets for the belt driven accessories may have been installed incorrectly, so they don't line up and that's the problem. But the motor mounts aren't related to that.
The engine block should have a slight downward angle toward the rear. In a ballpark sense the crankshaft should point at the center of the rear axle.
You can double check it by seeing how level the carburetor is. It should be very close to level unless the car isn't sitting level.

It appears that your car had air conditioning, or your engine came from an air conditioned car. I am thinking your belts may not be routed correctly or you have a bent pulley somewhere. Where do you have the belt going that appears to be off?
A wide angle picture straight down would help.

The lack of an upper fan shroud makes me ask why. If the motor mounts are broken then under a load (like lots of throttle with the brake firmly applied the drivers side of the engine would lift. One effect of that would be the fan striking the fan shroud. Back when that car was new the motor mounts did not have a safety strap to keep them in place. On a chevy V8 of that era the throttle would stick.

The pulleys and mounting brackets for the belt driven accessories may have been installed incorrectly, so they don't line up and that's the problem. But the motor mounts aren't related to that.
The engine block should have a slight downward angle toward the rear. In a ballpark sense the crankshaft should point at the center of the rear axle.
You can double check it by seeing how level the carburetor is. It should be very close to level unless the car isn't sitting level.
Yeah I believe you are spot on. So what do I need to do to fix that?

If the air cleaner is level then the engine is at the correct angle.

You have an unmatched pulley set; some from an AC engine and others from a non-AC. In the non-AC, the power steering pump is located on the driver's side close to the center. In the AC car, the AC compressor takes the spot of the power steering pump, and the power steering moves further away from the center with a remote reservoir. Also, the non-AC has two belts and no idler, while the AC engine may have three belts and an idler (not sure about that).

I ran into a belt issue when I added a AC to my car. Instead of hunting own old parts that I was unsure of what was needed, I installed a serpentine belt system.

You have an unmatched pulley set; some from an AC engine and others from a non-AC. In the non-AC, the power steering pump is located on the driver's side close to the center. In the AC car, the AC compressor takes the spot of the power steering pump, and the power steering moves further away from the center with a remote reservoir. Also, the non-AC has two belts and no idler, while the AC engine may have three belts and an idler (not sure about that).

I ran into a belt issue when I added a AC to my car. Instead of hunting own old parts that I was unsure of what was needed, I installed a serpentine belt system.
That sounds expensive lol which one did you go with? Did you need to pull the motor to install? The deeper I get the more I’m thinking about about just pulling the motor. Iv got everything to do it I believe but going from having never even changed the oil in a car to a complete rebuild seems super risky.

Changing pulleys is very easy, your engine has air conditioning accessories on it that it doesn't need, and may be the reason you are throwing belts.
For example, your alternator ( or generator) should only go around the crankshaft and water pump.
You power steering should only go around the crankshaft.
This is a simple car.
You don't need to pull an engine to change belts.

I was talking about the Serpentine Belt conversion kit. I also want to install AC Im prepared to purchase everything I need for that I just don’t know what that is.

so is it just as simples as changing out pulleys? Could just purchasing one of these do the trick?

Attachments

• 81F4209B-CC04-422F-93CA-1195D2111DEF.jpeg
    81F4209B-CC04-422F-93CA-1195D2111DEF.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 3
That sounds expensive lol which one did you go with? Did you need to pull the motor to install? The deeper I get the more I’m thinking about about just pulling the motor. Iv got everything to do it I believe but going from having never even changed the oil in a car to a complete rebuild seems super risky.
I went with a March system. When I did mine they had a single belt kit for $2000 and a twin belt kit (which is wider) for $600. That was 8 years ago, so there might be a less expensive single belt system out there.

Here's a picture of mine installed. To make room for the wider system, plus a Lincoln Mark VIII electric cooling fan, I installed the radiator ahead of the front cross member and tilted it slightly.

As you can see, I did a lot of other modifications along with the belt system. My AC compressor is a small Sanden style that sits low on the passenger side, nearly invisible to the casual observer. I ran the AC lines through the wheel wheel, so they are nearly invisible.

My heat/AC is a Vintage Air Gen 4 system, which I highly recommend. It uses my OE "heat only" control panel, along with a microprocessor to control servos for dehumidified defrost, heating and cooling.

Attachments

• IMG_20140809_152839_435.jpg
    IMG_20140809_152839_435.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180412_105332063.jpg
    IMG_20180412_105332063.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Back