1965 Trunk Lock not working | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1965 Trunk Lock not working

• Thread starter Thread starter red65
  • Start date Start date
red65
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Have only owned car a short time. It is in very good driving condition. The trunk has always been very easy to open, and close. Now key goes into lock and turns easily to the left. But, will not turn at all to the right, like something is stopping it. Have tried same key a few times, and tried other spare keys with no luck. Also, have tried applying pressure to top of trunk lid. Plus, tried gently lifting up with no change. Have searched here through older threads, and other sites, for ideas on what to do to correct problem. Only one that seems to work for some is to remove rear seat, which can be a challenge. Then hooking up about 4 feet of socket extensions taped together to snake into trunk and remove the two exposed bolts that hold latch brace on. One even used a piece of rebar and welded socket to one end and other end for ratchet 1/2" I believe. But, my car has a full size spare tire with trunk liner cover over it. Do not believe that there is any chance of using the process described. Guess that I will have to drill out key tumbler. Have never done this before. Then hope that the lever is still in place that activates rod that opens latch. Need a lot of luck. Before doing this have tried to find clear photographs of intact latch with lever and rod attached. All that I have found do not show this. Many photographs seem to confuse a '64 latch with the '65-'66 latch. They are not all the same. To be safe, I may have to find a good latch to buy in case I damage current one with drill bit. True locksmiths that can even make a good copy of a classic car key are very hard to find. Much less one do do the drill out extractions. Yes, my car does have the vacuum release in glove box but, does not work. Removed glove box and tried to use vacuum line that runs the rear window ventilation system, assuming it would have more vacuum - no luck. Anyone deal with this exact problem?? or, have pictures? Or have a good latch with arm and rod For Sale? Thank you ahead of time for any help with this. Attached are pictures found online, not20240922_214428.jpg20240922_213630.jpg20240914_153131 - Copy.jpg20240922_214036.jpg20240915_142924.jpg my car.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have a broken tumbler. Try putting a few drops of oil in the lock. While trying to turn it to the right push down on the key and pull up just a little. You may be able to work it free.
If not then I would remove the back seat and see what you can really do without damaging anything. You could buy several very long 3/8 extensions at Harbor freight quite inexpensively. Good luck!

Back