1965 Thunderbird project thread

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
looks like the choke isnt opening. its still on high idle step

Looks like fun I own a 65 blue like yours I have various extra trim parts you can have if you pay shipping.

I will give you a list if you want. Also why didn't you paint the value covers gold.

My 65 have gold air cleaner and value covers.

Looks like fun I own a 65 blue like yours I have various extra trim parts you can have if you pay shipping.

I will give you a list if you want. Also why didn't you paint the value covers gold.

My 65 have gold air cleaner and value covers.

Not really sure, I assumed they should be painted old Ford blue to match the block?

And yes, for sure! I have a lot of trim, but still in need of some odds and ends. Definitely needing the grill pieces and the trim that goes above them!

You can email me if you want, projo198@*********.

Thanks!

Sorry, been a few days. I've been working on it nightly though!

FINALLY got it running right last night! Video below. Did have a hiccup though, accidentally started it in drive after removing the gauges and ran it straight into the back of my truck! Minimal damage to the truck but my front bumper on the Thunderbird is toast...

Spent last night pulling the interior getting ready to weld in a floor pan and install new interior, but snow is hitting here today so not sure how far I will get with it this week.

Just seeing your latest post so the below might be out of date. Would just say that the shifters on these cars are problematic so not surprised your car would start in drive. There is much advice on these blogs about how to resolve shifter issues. I don't go anywhere without a blocks of wood to chock the tires with if I have to park on a grade.

In the videos after startup and after 10 minutes the engine actually sounds pretty good. The 625 Holley isn't too big, the stock 390 can accommodate a 675 cfm four barrel carb, so as long as the carb is sound, you're not delivering too much gas at idle. With a high idle like that, it could be 1) an air leak (keep looking), or the throttle linkage isn't correct so with foot off the gas the throat of the carb is open, or your distributor advance is set way to high. To address carb linkage, try disconnecting the throttle linkage from the carb and see how the engine idles. Re: advance, "spec" advance is 6 degrees BTDC. These 390 FE engines can take more advance than that, but initially make sure the advance is set to "spec".

By the way, your paint job on the valve covers looks great!

Last edited:
Thanks
Just seeing your latest post so the below might be out of date. Would just say that the shifters on these cars are problematic so not surprised your car would start in drive. There is much advice on these blogs about how to resolve shifter issues. I don't go anywhere without a blocks of wood to chock the tires with if I have to park on a grade.

In the videos after startup and after 10 minutes the engine actually sounds pretty good. The 625 Holley isn't too big, the stock 390 can accommodate a 675 cfm four barrel carb, so as long as the carb is sound, you're not delivering too much gas at idle. With a high idle like that, it could be 1) an air leak (keep looking), or the throttle linkage isn't correct so with foot off the gas the throat of the carb is open, or your distributor advance is set way to high. To address carb linkage, try disconnecting the throttle linkage from the carb and see how the engine idles. Re: advance, "spec" advance is 6 degrees BTDC. These 390 FE engines can take more advance than that, but initially make sure the advance is set to "spec".

By the way, your paint job on the valve covers looks great!

Thanks on all points! On the advise of a friend I figured out the idling situation. After a few minutes of warm up a quick kick of the throttle settles it down nicely. After that I just had to adjust the idle screw. Not sure if this will be a problem in the spring/summer, but it has been in the 20s/30s here for weeks and the car is outside.

It started in drive because the previous owner bypassed the factory ignition with a push button start. Why I don't know, just another thing on my list of things to fix.

I haven't been able to spend much time under the hood lately. I did strip the interior and am getting ready to replace all my vacuum lines behind the dash and switch out the light bulbs for LEDs. I also discovered my air inlet seal was completely gone, so that is on order. One thing after another!

This is pretty much were it is at right now.
https://i.*********/stftaKvl.jpg

Back