1965 t bird convertible speaker location under dash?

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Was the original speaker installed in the center and under the dash just above the wiper switch and air assembly? I took everything apart there and no speaker exists But I see no speaker wire either. The radio isn’t working so I got a new radio and was going to replace speaker. Someone’s “handy” work has been under here. Also is it a 6x9 speaker?

thanks!

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The front dash speaker is a 4x10. Actually this is an easy one to replace. Remove the pod with the clock, which is four screws - after removing the handles from those wiper/vent controls, and that pod drops right down. Disconnect the wires to the clock and the light, and set it aside. There are four studs hanging down for mounting the speaker.

Original style 4x10 speakers might not be easy to find; if you're in a pinch you can use a Custom Autosound Dual Voice Coil. It has two coils and two terminal strips. Connect them in series and you have an 8 ohm speaker. I have this drawing on my website, garytayman.com, speakers and accessories, speakers for dash. If your new radio is an aftermarket stereo, you can use this speaker with two stereo channels.

Thanks Gary! Also it’s my understand that the rear speakers were an option too? I haven’t cracked the back yet but I wasn’t sure what the convertible models offered for spacing. Figured if there was space on the back deck with the grills there now is a good time to run the wires. I am indeed using the Custom Autosound system, but I will just get a aftermarket 4x10 speaker.
mark

Was the original speaker installed in the center and under the dash just above the wiper switch and air assembly? I took everything apart there and no speaker exists But I see no speaker wire either. The radio isn’t working so I got a new radio and was going to replace speaker. Someone’s “handy” work has been under here. Also is it a 6x9 speaker?

thanks!
I have speakers in back seat

thanks!
On 64 4x9 speaker is right above !so light. Have to remove,map light /warning light screws out and area for.the.speaker should be there.also was optional to have the 4x9 in lower part of front doors

Ok thanks everyone. Yeah no speaker exists there for some reason. I’ll do it up right though.

On my ‘64 Convertible, I bought the aftermarket stereo radio (anyone looking for a factory am/fm?), along with the dual speakers for front and rear. I then “split” the stereo “left/right” to “front and rear”: left channel is the front, and right channel is the rear. IT SOUNDS GREAT, and I didn’t have to drill/cut any holes in anything.

Back