1965 Ignition Coil burst

Schos

Schos

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello, yesterday made a small trip, when first parked ignition key on off, engine ran blithely on, even without a key in the ignition lock, he had never done before. So hood up, briefly considered, of course no tools, and pulled the plus plug from the ignition coil. Engine stopped, plus plug back on, hood closed. After 3 hours back, ignition on, starter turns, does not start. Hood open, already everywhere oil from the burst (on the connector side) and very hot ignition coil.

A) Is it possible that after reconnecting the positive plug, 12V continued to go into the ignition coil?
B) Cause for engine running?

Have a Pertronix Ignitor I installed, positive cable to ignition coil. Have only a few days ago read that you should not do, because of original resistance cable, there are not 12V for the Ignitor. A measurement with multimeter showed but then, with the engine running, 12V at the positive of the ignition coil, had so far no problems.

Thanks for any advice, I'm a bit perplexed and frustrated right now as I can't narrow down the cause/causes.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello, yesterday made a small trip, when first parked ignition key on off, engine ran blithely on, even without a key in the ignition lock, he had never done before. So hood up, briefly considered, of course no tools, and pulled the plus plug from the ignition coil. Engine stopped, plus plug back on, hood closed. After 3 hours back, ignition on, starter turns, does not start. Hood open, already everywhere oil from the burst (on the connector side) and very hot ignition coil.

A) Is it possible that after reconnecting the positive plug, 12V continued to go into the ignition coil?
B) Cause for engine running?

Have a Pertronix Ignitor I installed, positive cable to ignition coil. Have only a few days ago read that you should not do, because of original resistance cable, there are not 12V for the Ignitor. A measurement with multimeter showed but then, with the engine running, 12V at the positive of the ignition coil, had so far no problems.

Thanks for any advice, I'm a bit perplexed and frustrated right now as I can't narrow down the cause/causes.

Answer to A... YES
Answer to B.. YES

Sounds like maybe an ignition switch problem. If you have a volt meter or test lite see if the coil wire is hot (12v not temperature) without the key on..
Good luck
Ed

Have you replaced the starter solenoid recently? That is one of the fail modes of the cheap overseas starter solenoids.

Have you replaced the starter solenoid recently? That is one of the fail modes of the cheap overseas starter solenoids.
No the starter solenoid has not been renewed, I believe it is stock or may have been renewed by the previous owner. I have the Bird for three years

Back