1964 Undercoating question

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all,
I am back after taking some time after having some serious family issues. I am inching my way back to working on my 64. Here is my question. I am doing the rear leaf springs and am cleaning and painting as I go. I noticed that the undercoating comes off pretty easily and exposing metal that has some surface rust or just primer. I have been spraying rust converter on it after I good scrubbing with a wire brush. Should I continue to remove this undercoating - or should I leave it? I have heard that undercoating, especially what we spray out of cans today can cause car to HOLD moisture and defeat the purpose by acting as an incubator for rust...so my real question is - when I remove this flaking old undercoating, should I spray my rust converter and undercoat it with the coating in a can - or should I just paint it black - or - use truck bed liner coating?

I think that you are doing it the right way. I've heard the same thing, but I'm not an expert.

Hello all,
I am back after taking some time after having some serious family issues. I am inching my way back to working on my 64. Here is my question. I am doing the rear leaf springs and am cleaning and painting as I go. I noticed that the undercoating comes off pretty easily and exposing metal that has some surface rust or just primer. I have been spraying rust converter on it after I good scrubbing with a wire brush. Should I continue to remove this undercoating - or should I leave it? I have heard that undercoating, especially what we spray out of cans today can cause car to HOLD moisture and defeat the purpose by acting as an incubator for rust...so my real question is - when I remove this flaking old undercoating, should I spray my rust converter and undercoat it with the coating in a can - or should I just paint it black - or - use truck bed liner coating?
It all depends what you are trying to do. Concours restoration or daily driver? The car originally was “red zinc primer” on the bottom (no body color) and the undercoat was probably dealer added at time of sale. To preserve the car, yes, by all means remove the old undercoat. It will hold moisture. I spent weeks on my ‘64 just doing that. I went one step farther and sanded and painted mine body color. (I like nice).

It all depends what you are trying to do. Concours restoration or daily driver? The car originally was “red zinc primer” on the bottom (no body color) and the undercoat was probably dealer added at time of sale. To preserve the car, yes, by all means remove the old undercoat. It will hold moisture. I spent weeks on my ‘64 just doing that. I went one step farther and sanded and painted mine body color. (I like nice).

I think I will do the same. I also think I will go the bedliner route - the rubberized undercoating - in my experience - holds moisture. Thanks!

Back