1964 Thunderbird solenoid bypass

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Okay - I know this is a very, very, very basic question but I have had some bad experience in the past - @fordrodsteven (another smoke show when I was 16)

I will be replacing the intake manifold and doing other work which will require me to bump the starter. Since I will be alone - I would like to use the screwdriver trick...but I am unsure of exactly how to do it on my 64 Thunderbird. I do not want to burn up all my hard work.

My uncle has given me a remote starter switch to use(big button with two nice leads), he said he has forgotten how to use it. I cannot really watch too many YouTube videos as his satellite internet data is small - so I wanted to ask:

How the heck do I hook the remote starter switch up? I am thinking the positive lead goes to the positive battery cable, and the negative lead connects to the big wire runs to the starter. Do I need to have the ignition on for this? (I thought it was done on the starter solenoid as well) Or can I just bump it over without the key (probably won't start without the ignition on because the ignition energizes the system and coil right?) My point being, I do not want to burn my car down and want to use this correctly.

As @fordrodsteven knows my car's wiring is hacked up and anything is possible - again thanks for all the help.

So teach an elder millennial a new trick. Please be as direct and simple as possible - small words work best with my fried brain.

Thanks, folks!

I know it is not called a starter solenoid - it has another name I believe (I am just a Kentucky boy though) lol

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Okay - I know this is a very, very, very basic question but I have had some bad experience in the past - @fordrodsteven (another smoke show when I was 16)

I will be replacing the intake manifold and doing other work which will require me to bump the starter. Since I will be alone - I would like to use the screwdriver trick...but I am unsure of exactly how to do it on my 64 Thunderbird. I do not want to burn up all my hard work.

My uncle has given me a remote starter switch to use(big button with two nice leads), he said he has forgotten how to use it. I cannot really watch too many YouTube videos as his satellite internet data is small - so I wanted to ask:

How the heck do I hook the remote starter switch up? I am thinking the positive lead goes to the positive battery cable, and the negative lead connects to the big wire runs to the starter. Do I need to have the ignition on for this? (I thought it was done on the starter solenoid as well) Or can I just bump it over without the key (probably won't start without the ignition on because the ignition energizes the system and coil right?) My point being, I do not want to burn my car down and want to use this correctly.

As @fordrodsteven knows my car's wiring is hacked up and anything is possible - again thanks for all the help.

So teach an elder millennial a new trick. Please be as direct and simple as possible - small words work best with my fried brain.

Thanks, folks!

I know it is not called a starter solenoid - it has another name I believe (I am just a Kentucky boy though) lol
If I remember you connect one clip to the battery hot lead and the other lead to the small terminal marked "s". Push the button and it turns over.Key does not need to be on.

Yes as jack-in-sac has said, battery and S on the solenoid. The s terminal gets power when you turn the key to the starting position. This then (through the solenoid) shorts the battery to the starter motor.
So, doing this with your button will jump the starter motor and as long as the ignition switch is left off, the ignition side of the engine won't be powered.

I also pull off the center coil / distributor wire just to be safe. It is possible for the engine to try to start but not run when jumping / bypassing the solenoid.

Back