1964 Thunderbird Jacking Point Questions

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Guys,

So I don't want to die. I have my garage cleaned out now and am ready to lift the thunderbird up off the ground to replace the leaf springs and to service things on the front end (brakes and so on)

I have a shop manual, but to me - the jacking section in part 17 is weak at best. THIS IS MY LIFE. I have done searched but cannot find solid information.

I have two 3 ton low profile jacks, plenty of GOOD stands - but I am somewhat inexperienced in lifting these cars. I have to learn though as I cannot afford to pay to have all this work done by a shop and I need to wire brush the car underneath too.

Where are the safest points to put jack stands to support all 4 corners of the car and remove all the tires? Where should I jack from? I want this thing rock solid as I am taking off all the tires and replacing the leaf springs to start. HELP ME NOT DIE.

Pictures, diagrams, whatever ya got.

Thank you.

I almost wonder if you're better off jacking up the back end, and later the front end, working on either end individually. As for safety, indeed this is a 4500-some pound car, but then again a 2000 pounder could get you just as bad, same as being shot by a .22 vs. a .45. My own personal advice would be to let someone else do it. Find a nice shop that has a lift, and all the other tools -- and experience -- required to change out springs and suspension parts. I recently had my rear springs, shocks, and rear axle replaced, and I don't recall what the price was but it didn't seem too bad. BTW, what a difference in ride and handling!

Once the "foundation" of the car is all set, then you can simply drive the front -- or back -- of the car onto some ramps, chock the other two wheels, and you'll have no issues brushing and cleaning up the bottom side of the car to your heart's content.

Just to put it in perspective, some years ago my garage door broke. Yes, one of the springs let go. I was told immediately, don't try this yourself. Lots of injuries have occurred by people trying to change these things out. Not that I had planned to anyway, but I watched as the fellas removed and replaced both of those springs. Wow, there's a lot of energy in those things! I understand budgets; I've got one myself. But I would price out the parts, get an estimate from the shop (and if they can't give you even a ballpark figure, go to ANOTHER shop), and save up for it. Worth the wait.

Hey Don. For front end, there is a cross brace under the radiator, you can lift the front end with the jack then position two jackstands at the ends of the brace and lower the jack.

For rear, put jack under the differential, lift the beast, then put jack stands under axles close to wheels.

Doug

I have never jacked all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time.

I would hate to tell you how I have lifted mine in case I am not doing this correctly.

I do block the wheels that stay on the ground.

Yes, chock the wheels on the ground.

Don, there are lifting points for the front under the frame north of the doors but beware on driver's side it's easy to crush the fuel line. Which is why I prefer procedure above.

I will post pictures once the "big girl," is up. I went up to Home Depot this morning and had them cut - yes I have a chop saw but I am lazy about it lol - 3- 4x4x10 into 1 foot pieces, then a 2x10x8 into 1 foot pieces and I plan on putting them under the factory lift points or whatever they call them in book, they are my anti-death boards. Thank you all for the advice, any other advice is most appreciated as well - I am a sponge :)

Also, I did use my jack on the pinch weld where it looked thicker to put the car on the "skates," I bought on Amazon and pushed it across the garage, kinda neat. Now I can pull another car in. It's hard though, moving some of mom's stuff around. She had so many things stored for the holidays, her Christmas collection is huge...just breaks my heart.

Wanna see a pig on skates :) lol It is so easy to move around like this.

IMG_20190908_140633.jpg IMG_20190908_140635.jpg IMG_20190908_141235.jpg MVIMG_20190908_140622.jpg MVIMG_20190908_140632.jpg MVIMG_20190908_141233.jpg

Oh, I wanted to ask, if using the right jack stand pinch weld pads can I support the car on the 4 thicker pinch weld points? I would also have two under the front and two at the back....and some wood as well.

I think you did a great job. Can never go overboard on safety. All accidents can and should be prevented. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, tonight I decided, she needs to be higher - 18 inches up now. I know that seems silly to some of you, but I don't really like working under cars, but I am learning because it gets expensive QUICK. I can do a great deal of stuff, like heater cores like a boss lol - but when you show me a jack and stands I shake a bit. However, I am learning. So now the car is up, I also bought pinch weld adapters for my stands, they are there for safety. Gonna put them on the front and back too. I tried to shake the car, it does not budge. I am going to start in the back and work my way forward at this point. I will finish the radiator project though as I want coolant in it for this winter. I have a feeling this girl is going to be on up on stands until next summer. @64ZCODE I am hoping to have it up on stands in my own space - man the toxic crap is outta hand(been tryin' the "not my monkey thing," but the toxic guilt trip crap is never good....phew we need to talk soon. Hope all is well btw.

Here are the new raised pictures - I have about 75 bucks in wood invested, but I figure its all treated and I can use it for YEARS. Project - DO NOT DIE is in progress lol.

IMG_20190910_170010.jpg IMG_20190910_170018.jpg IMG_20190910_170030.jpg IMG_20190910_170033.jpg IMG_20190910_170044.jpg IMG_20190910_170128.jpg

I’m sure that your car is quite safe and secure on those wood blocks, but all of those wood blocks stacked up still looks scary to me. I hate working on my back under a car, you never seem to be able to get the car high enough. Looking at the size of your garage and the height of the ceiling, did you ever consider having a car lift installed?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I’m sure that your car is quite safe and secure on those wood blocks, but all of those wood blocks stacked up still looks scary to me. I hate working on my back under a car, you never seem to be able to get the car high enough. Looking at the size of your garage and the height of the ceiling, did you ever consider having a car lift installed?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
One thing you should consider is alternating the wood by layers criss crossing is a more stable stance especially when you will be applying some torque to those wrenches to remove the springs good luck and safety first

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I would but it actually my parent's garage. I sold my home over 2 years ago (I had put 50k in it and remodeled the bathrooms myself and landscaped extensively, that was HARD to walk away from) and moved in to help care for my mom...since her passing I have been lost...the tbird is helping. I am wrapped up in medical bills for her and my father and brother (multiply disabled) really need me right now - so I won't have my own place for about a year :( When I do though, I FULLY intend to have a separate metal building installed and a nice lift put in! I am all about working on older cars and my "new cars," are only getting older as well - my new to me 04 expedition seems like a spaceship to me but looks ancient to others lol - I march to my own tune though. If I want to drive a dump truck to work I will LOL!

I want to add more cars to the stable. I recently got a 95 Fleetwood brougham that is in solid shape - its a project. I want to put my hands on a mid 60's Chrysler c-body at some point, another tbird would be nice, and I would LOVE to get an older Buick roadmaster - love the 53 -54 - those mouths they have -- in rough shape and do an LT1 swap from a caprice or 93-96 roadmaster, make it my custom.

One thing you should consider is alternating the wood by layers criss crossing is a more stable stance especially when you will be applying some torque to those wrenches to remove the springs good luck and safety first

I totally agree, and I had started to do that, but I was distracted and focused on just getting the car up - big mistake. I will jack it up this weekend and do what you are talking about - again this is project "DON'T DIE." lol

Hey Don. For front end, there is a cross brace under the radiator, you can lift the front end with the jack then position two jackstands at the ends of the brace and lower the jack.

For rear, put jack under the differential, lift the beast, then put jack stands under axles close to wheels.

Doug
Hello there I was wondering exactly what you meant by cross brace, do you mean the crossmember under the engine, which seems to look like a slightly you shaped bar. Or the brace right under the radiator which the bumper attatches to?

Back