1964 Thunderbird Fuel Tank Filler Tube

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,

So, while I wait for some parts and plan things out for my electrical system - I thought I would address a problem that probably needs to be really done next.

When I took my Tbird out for the first time - First stop was the gas station - LOL

I filled it up, bantered with a guy about the car, and drove off. When I came down the street I noticed a thin line behind me....hmm..Backed into the garage and smelled gas like crazy - lol - if someone would have lit my trail "boom" nemesis gone.

So, I went to the back of the tank - tank is "new," great! I looked up at the filler neck, not new and gas is leaking out from around it!! I am assuming there is an oring kit I need? I assume that when they installed the new tank, they did not use a new or "any" oring. I would not be surprised, dude/or dudette was more amateur than I...that is saying alot lol. It stopped leaking when it got below the filler neck level, and I have just ignored it for now.

I did a gas tank replacement on my 66 about 15 years ago before I sold it - all I remember is that I had the car jacked up VERY high and that the tube sorta spun in?

Looking for suggestions of what I might need for the repair - a kit or parts - and does the filler tube just unbolt and spin out? To stop this danger - right now the plan is to just not fill the tank all up lol.

If it is the same as a 1965, and I assume it is, the filler tube stabs into the tank, and there is an oring. The screws for the tube are where the filler door is. I think I took the filler door off, removed a few screws and pulled the tube out.

Getting the tube in with the oring in the right place was tricky.

I would pull the tube out and inspect the oring and tube initially.

Best of luck.

If it is the same as a 1965, and I assume it is, the filler tube stabs into the tank, and there is an oring. The screws for the tube are where the filler door is. I think I took the filler door off, removed a few screws and pulled the tube out.

Getting the tube in with the oring in the right place was tricky.

I would pull the tube out and inspect the oring and tube initially.

Best of luck.

I will do this for sure! I am just curious, what is the best way to place the new o-ring if that is indeed what is missing?
Thanks!

Where is it leaking? At the tank or the neck by the fuel door? Did those era birds have the fuel for on the side of the car or behind the license place? I’d also check and see if the filler neck doesn’t have any holes in it either. My 69 I had to have the filler neck repaired due to some corrosion and some small holes in the neck. Check to see if this isn’t the problem for yourself as well.

Did you get the filler tube fixed?

Hey! I have not had a chance yet. I have been clearing out the garage and trying to make room. I am hoping to get on this soon!

Where is it leaking? At the tank or the neck by the fuel door? Did those era birds have the fuel for on the side of the car or behind the license place? I’d also check and see if the filler neck doesn’t have any holes in it either. My 69 I had to have the filler neck repaired due to some corrosion and some small holes in the neck. Check to see if this isn’t the problem for yourself as well.

All excellent suggestions. From what I recall, it looked like it was leaking where the pipe goes into the tank area - I will have to go back and review my pictures - but I will check the things you're talking about as well.

Hello All,

So, while I wait for some parts and plan things out for my electrical system - I thought I would address a problem that probably needs to be really done next.

When I took my Tbird out for the first time - First stop was the gas station - LOL

I filled it up, bantered with a guy about the car, and drove off. When I came down the street I noticed a thin line behind me....hmm..Backed into the garage and smelled gas like crazy - lol - if someone would have lit my trail "boom" nemesis gone.

So, I went to the back of the tank - tank is "new," great! I looked up at the filler neck, not new and gas is leaking out from around it!! I am assuming there is an oring kit I need? I assume that when they installed the new tank, they did not use a new or "any" oring. I would not be surprised, dude/or dudette was more amateur than I...that is saying alot lol. It stopped leaking when it got below the filler neck level, and I have just ignored it for now.

I did a gas tank replacement on my 66 about 15 years ago before I sold it - all I remember is that I had the car jacked up VERY high and that the tube sorta spun in?

Looking for suggestions of what I might need for the repair - a kit or parts - and does the filler tube just unbolt and spin out? To stop this danger - right now the plan is to just not fill the tank all up lol.
dealing with the same problem. I replaced my tank, but utilized the original filler tube. I did replace the oring with the one provided with my tank. Long story short; seven years later, I finally have replaced virtually everything, and drove it in to the gas station and had your same experience.
I have been told that the oring provided with the tank, was an incorrect size for the original filler tube. I ordered a new oring from Larrys. Im hoping this resolves the filler tube leak.

I guess I am little unclear - what is the best way to replace the O-ring. So, I pull the tube out. and then what do I do? I have two new orings that I can choose from. Thanks, soo much!.

I guess I am little unclear - what is the best way to replace the O-ring. So, I pull the tube out. and then what do I do? I have two new orings that I can choose from. Thanks, soo much!.
At the tank, remove the old oring from the recess and place the new one in its place, Carefull not to drop it into the tank. lubricate the oring with a touch of grease.Then reinsert the fill tube. Hardest part is keeping a grib on the greased oring.

Back