1964 Thunderbird Engine swap

With all you are saying why not just yank the motor? If you want to see what the cylinders look like get a bore scope and stick it down the plug holes. Pull the valve covers will tell you a lot about the condition of the valves and heads. Pulling the intake let’s you get a look at the lifter valley, pushrods and cam. Remember pulling heads means new head bolts as they are torque to yield. Head gaskets too.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

With all you are saying why not just yank the motor? If you want to see what the cylinders look like get a bore scope and stick it down the plug holes. Pull the valve covers will tell you a lot about the condition of the valves and heads. Pulling the intake let’s you get a look at the lifter valley, pushrods and cam. Remember pulling heads means new head bolts as they are torque to yield. Head gaskets too.

I am seriously considering pulling the engine and slowly tearing it down, and going back with a budgetish rebuild/refresh/overhaul.

I am seriously considering pulling the engine and slowly tearing it down, and going back with a budgetish rebuild/refresh/overhaul.
Even a "budget" rebuild will cost A LOT. Unless you plan on doing the bulk of the work expect to pay like 5-6k in costs for a good rebuild.

Even a "budget" rebuild will cost A LOT. Unless you plan on doing the bulk of the work expect to pay like 5-6k in costs for a good rebuild.

WOW 5-6 k! Hmm...making the LT1 work may be cheaper in the end haha. Seriously though, wow is that FE specific or is that what a rebuild runs these days generally? I mean I am talking about going back as stock as possible. I would pull it myself - and go from there. I have some books on these engines but books and real world are two different things. I would like to do as much work as I can. I feel like I could break one down and put it back together - it would just be slow.

WOW 5-6 k! Hmm...making the LT1 work may be cheaper in the end haha. Seriously though, wow is that FE specific or is that what a rebuild runs these days generally? I mean I am talking about going back as stock as possible. I would pull it myself - and go from there. I have some books on these engines but books and real world are two different things. I would like to do as much work as I can. I feel like I could break one down and put it back together - it would just be slow.
The price I said was what I was looking at to have my 460 engine rebuilt in my 1969 tbird. I would assume the 390 would be around the same.

Been doing some research and learning a whole lot. I want to do as much as I can myself on this car. I did learn that it might be best to let a shop handle the cleanup with a hot tank and get the oil galleys clear. I have all the tools to do it, but man, if I messed that up eek. Been pricing parts and tools. (of course, this is all before I have run tests) but if I pulled the engine, was able to reuse the pistons and rods, went back with OEM size no file rings, Guessing Moly rings would be better for a good seal in case the cylinders are out of round, dd a hone myself to get rid of the glaze and grime, unless the shop would do that cheap, clean up the crank myself, I think I could do it for under 2k. That is with me finding a good shop I can trust. I would go back with the stock intake and heads because this is not a hotrod, and while it is a restomod, I would like to have the power plant stay the same as much as possible. I suppose I could go with a slightly better cam and lifters, but outside of that the head work, blockwork, and gasket set will take me right up to that price. I think I should probably account for 500 more of a buffer, plus I will need to buy a stand and probably a hoist - hoping I can get them used. This is a ways off, I have to save that money first lol - but by then I should have the suspension done.

Last edited:
Back