1964 Thunderbird Brake light issues

There wasn't a sequencer in 64. I believe that came out in 65 of 66. I see you guys found the fuse box. That is cool that everyone is helping. In turn I'm learning new stuff. Thank you.

I am so thankful for each and everyone of you! I appreciate the help getting this beautiful lady past inspection and then slowly back on the roads.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey Don, give me a call when you can, **************

Doug

Will do, sorry I have been absent the past few days - mom got a terrible kidney infection...apparently the cancer is pushing in such a way that urine is backing up...I am going between her and the tbird - I swear, this forum and that car are keeping me sane and ground - thank you for all!

I would pass on replacing that relay / wiring just yet. It seems to be working.

I use a small pointy tool (like an ice pick or one of those little tools you can get buy in the pack of four) and poke through the wire casing to contact the wire inside. I alligator clip my multimeter lead to the ice pick tool. All it leaves is a very tny hole in the wire rubber casing.

Excellent advice - thank you! I will keep that in mind for the future. Hopefully, I can get the car back to factory wiring over the next few days then I will take some pictures and send some information before we energize the circuit.

Sorry I have been absent the past few days - mom got a terrible kidney infection...apparently, the cancer is pushing in such a way that urine is backing up...I am going between her and the tbird - I swear, this forum and that car are keeping me sane and ground - thank you for all!

<DRUM ROLL PLEASE!>

I was able to take about 30 minutes of time and trace the continuity in each wire all around. I used some jumper wires with fuses and hooked it all up to a 15 amp breaker taking the hot from that yellow wire. I used a piece of copper in the boot/plug to bridge....I HAVE BRAKE LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!

I left it plugged up for 30 minutes, no smoke show lol. I can hear the relay click under the hood when I press the pedal and the lights come on!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!! SPECIAL THANKS TO STEVE AND DAN FOR NOT GIVING UP ON ME AND LEADING ME TO THAT HOLY BRAKE LIGHT!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Excellent! a little patience paid off! Great job!!! Do you think you can get past inspection now?

Excellent! a little patience paid off! Great job!!! Do you think you can get past inspection now?

I am overjoyed it worked! This shows the true power of community and sharing of information - I would have been dead in the water without you all! Thank you so much!

This covers all the big stuff, AKA hard/almost impossible for me to do stuff, it should pass inspection now! I just need to put the cooling system back together and get my fuel lines plumbed - should be able to do this before Wednesday of next week. Once that is done it will come back home go up on jack stands in the garage, and I will start going through the brakes entirely, among other things - I am sure I will have lots of questions lol:)

I must say Doug, you have a beeee-uuuuu-teeeee-Fullll fuse box!! You should be proud. Most are crusty/rusty from water getting inbetween the shell of the body and interior material...I'm impressed!!

I know right? Mine looks like a haunted house compared to his:)

Great Question Steve, So Nemesis what else needs to be done before your upcoming inspection?

Hey Dan!

Rose - named after my mother (her middle name) should pass inspection now! I just need to put the cooling system back together, replace a few hoses that I already have on hand, clean it out a bit, and get my fuel lines plumbed - should be able to do this before Wednesday of next week I am hoping. So excited!

I must say Doug, you have a beeee-uuuuu-teeeee-Fullll fuse box!! You should be proud. Most are crusty/rusty from water getting inbetween the shell of the body and interior material...I'm impressed!!
Dan
I think the car must have was garaged, there’s no other explanation especially since it spent most of it’s life in Idaho. If I have anything to say about it, it will never see a raindrop.

I just bought my flair bird and only the right brake light works, all the signals and tail lights work fine....are the brake lights on separate wires? how could I track it down?

The brake light (singular) is a two filament bulb whereby one half can burn out, check the bulb before going crazy.

Problem solved...my bird is a 64 btw...it was a bad connection in the signal light switch...clean it up and away it went
I just bought my flair bird and only the right brake light works, all the signals and tail lights work fine....are the brake lights on separate wires? how could I track it down?

Back