1964 Running hot?

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all. Just came back in from the Woodward Dream Cruise (Detroit area, Ferndale to Pontiac 11 mile loop...maybe you heard of it?) and the Bird was running hot on the temp gauge. Into the H area on the gauge, but no problems noticed. No steam, overheating, cap didn't pop off. My question is, do these Birds tend to run Hot? New water pump, belts, thermostat, power steering pump. I got her out of the stop and go along the cruise and onto a good 40 mph side road and she cooled down to the P in the word "TEMP" on the gauge. Just curious if I became alarmed over something that is normal. Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The one thing you didn't mention was the radiator. How old? Was it ever replaced? Was it ever rodded out. When was the last time the engine timing was checked?

The one thing you didn't mention was the radiator. How old? Was it ever replaced? Was it ever rodded out. When was the last time the engine timing was checked?
Original rad, checked out ok pressure and clog wise...not leaking or blowing any water/steam, just the gauge pegs to Hot side esp in stop and go. Timing was checked and done.

I installed a “Pusher Fan “ between the grill and the radiator a number of years ago. I call it my “Parade Fan” since my 64’ goes tend to run hot in slow traffic (yes newer aluminum two row core). It does a marvellous job and I have used it many times. I chose to have it manually activated vs automatic and put a pull switch on the driver’s side of the console where the reverb switch is normally mounted. (I don’t have the reverb option).

Best of luck! Drive it like you stole it!!! ?

Adding Water Wetter coolant additive will help as a first step. I also added a fan shroud that is standard if your car came with AC which mine did not. My issues went away with doing this.

Back