• Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here

• Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 4th of July Special Offer **LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS** Guest! You can upgrade your account today and unlock member only features of the site and remove all Google/Amazon ads! Click here to learn more. Thanks for supporting the club!

1964 Parking Brake Doesn't Hold

Hoopy

Hoopy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently had my master cylinder changed out. Something changed with my parking brake as it no longer stays down when applied. It ratchets back up, doesn't hold - it never did that before. Initially I figured the vacuum line had come off the neutral safety switch (its new). It had. That line looked old, so I replaced it. Now reattached, the parking brake sticks slightly better, but it still isn't holding very long. It kicks back up, unable to stay down. I checked the vacuum canister and all the lines into it are secure. Any thoughts or recommendations?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello Hoopy. Sounds like the parking brake mechanism beneath the foot pedal is gummed up or posibly worn out. The mechanism has a ratchet and a manual release lever that may be gummed up/stuck. Try dousing the mechanism with penetrating oil and working the parking brake pedal and the manual release lever and see if it frees up and will stay engaged when set. It should only release when it sees vacuum from the vacuum line, or when the manual release lever is depressed.

Doug

Also, the brake release is controlled by the Neutral Safety Switch. The vacuum lines are connected to that switch. Possibly the vacuum lines have become disconnected and/or the switch has gone bad.

Back