1964 No stop lights. Missing connector? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1964 No stop lights. Missing connector?

• Thread starter Thread starter 6T4 Bird
  • Start date Start date

6T4 Bird

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I had stop lights at the start of the season. Returned from a show and found them not working. Found the wires pulled out of the switch at the end of the master cylinder.
Wired in a new switch and they still didn't work. I've scoured the wiring diagrams and can't find the problem. I believe this connector also needs to be plugged in somewhere but again, can't find it in the diagrams. Does anybody know where this actually plugs in? The two green wires run to the stop light switch.

IMG_5795[1].JPG

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had stop lights at the start of the season. Returned from a show and found them not working. Found the wires pulled out of the switch at the end of the master cylinder.
Wired in a new switch and they still didn't work. I've scoured the wiring diagrams and can't find the problem. I believe this connector also needs to be plugged in somewhere but again, can't find it in the diagrams. Does anybody know where this actually plugs in? The two green wires run to the stop light switch.

View attachment 31837

Verify correct wiring by jumping the two loose wires. The brake lights should turn on. Replacement connectors are readily available online.

The brake switch operates on hydraulic pressure. Reproduction switches can require high braking force to operate. I replaced mine with a generic motorcycle rear brake switch, that operates by tension between the brake pedal and the dash panel.

Those appear to have been secured with wire nuts at some point. Start looking around the steering column where the turn signal harness is located.

I tried bypassing the switch all together by connecting the two green wires quickly with a wire nut. I expected the brake lights to immediately come on. They didn't and that's when I noticed the connector there tied to the green wires and not connected to anything. Checking the wiring diagrams, I can't tell where that goes.
The logical guess is somewhere down by the firewall/steering column. Engine side or interior side?

Should be inside. However, my memory is not what it used to be. Is your brake light switch on the master cylinder or inside on the brake pedal arm? If inside work from there. Remember that your brake lights run through the turn signal switch. You should wind up with constant power on one side and the other side going up the column to the switch.

View attachment 31837
You say you had brake lights at the start of the season. What happened that could have disconnected that harness?

That circuit is likely ground switched. Test each wire for voltage. If no voltage, then ground each in turn to see which one lights the brake lamps.

A little more info on this. I'm finding the wiring diagrams absolutely useless for this.
First picture is the old master cylinder pressure switch. No idea why the wires were pulled out.
Second photo. The new switch has a green-white and a green-red wire. The wiring diagram only shows a green-red wire.
Third photo. This is where the switch was wired: green-white to green-white and green-red to green red. No idea about this mystery plug.
Fourth photo. That mystery plug eventually runs to the relay behind the washer bag. I'm guessing that plug is need to bring power to the system.
Fifth photo. I notice behind the motor - center of the firewall - two wires coming out. One green and one green-red.
When I press them into the plug - I get brake lights!
It appears I'm missing that plug on those two wires. I'm guessing that the wires were always just jammed in the plug spots and secured with electrical tape. This photo is after I had removed a lot of electrical tape from them and trimmed the ends.

A lot of you keep mentioning the turn signal switch, but this just makes too much sense with these stray wires down near that area. What do you think? Anyone else have these coming out of the firewall and attaching to the pressure switch?

IMG_5801[1].JPG

IMG_5802[1].JPG
IMG_5803[1].JPG
IMG_5804[1].JPG
IMG_5805[1].JPG

A little more info on this. I'm finding the wiring diagrams absolutely useless for this.
First picture is the old master cylinder pressure switch. No idea why the wires were pulled out.
Second photo. The new switch has a green-white and a green-red wire. The wiring diagram only shows a green-red wire.
Third photo. This is where the switch was wired: green-white to green-white and green-red to green red. No idea about this mystery plug.
Fourth photo. That mystery plug eventually runs to the relay behind the washer bag. I'm guessing that plug is need to bring power to the system.
Fifth photo. I notice behind the motor - center of the firewall - two wires coming out. One green and one green-red.
When I press them into the plug - I get brake lights!
It appears I'm missing that plug on those two wires. I'm guessing that the wires were always just jammed in the plug spots and secured with electrical tape. This photo is after I had removed a lot of electrical tape from them and trimmed the ends.

A lot of you keep mentioning the turn signal switch, but this just makes too much sense with these stray wires down near that area. What do you think? Anyone else have these coming out of the firewall and attaching to the pressure switch?

View attachment 31853

View attachment 31854
View attachment 31855
View attachment 31856
View attachment 31857

The poor car is 60 years old. Who knows what could have happened to those wires in its lifetime.

I think you have found the problem. Many years ago someone probably had an issue with that connector and made a temporary repair that worked. Parts for these cars were much harder to find 30 years ago. If you can't find a replacement connector you may have to just splice them together.

That’s my thought as well.
Just curious where the wires are originating from on other cars that still have this type of pressure switch.

My new switch is wired in now and the brake lights work but only when the pedal is pressed nearly to the floor.
A new pressure switch has also been ordered.

My new switch is wired in now and the brake lights work but only when the pedal is pressed nearly to the floor.
A new pressure switch has also been ordered.
That should change when the engine is running. (Higher pressure when engine is running)

Back