1964 no start have spark & fuel

matthays64Tbird

matthays64Tbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys and gals I'm new here so hello to everyone !! My issue has been many lol so the car has had a wire tuck and there were wires that had been replaced and they used different colors to the starter solenoid and I'm having a hard time tracking down the colors that are supposed to connect to starter solenoid I ran a new ignition ballast resistor wire and ballast I have spark I have fuel and it wont start I TDC AND SET TO 6 DEG BTC EVERYTHING IS FROM MY VIEW OK CAN ANYONE HELP ?? THANKS GUYS

Look at the starter solinoid, the two small terminals should have an"S" on one and and "I" on the other. Obviously the "S" is the one to the start wire coming from the ignition switch. You have that correct. the "I" goes to the coil to give 12v to the ignition system when the key is in the start position. If I recall correctly you don't have power to the coil if that wire is not hooked up correctly. Just because you have power to the coil in the ON position, don't assume you have power to the coil in the START position!.

Hey guys and gals I'm new here so hello to everyone !! My issue has been many lol so the car has had a wire tuck and there were wires that had been replaced and they used different colors to the starter solenoid and I'm having a hard time tracking down the colors that are supposed to connect to starter solenoid I ran a new ignition ballast resistor wire and ballast I have spark I have fuel and it wont start I TDC AND SET TO 6 DEG BTC EVERYTHING IS FROM MY VIEW OK CAN ANYONE HELP ?? THANKS GUYS
Look at the starter solinoid, the two small terminals should have an"S" on one and and "I" on the other. Obviously the "S" is the one to the start wire coming from the ignition switch. You have that correct. the "I" goes to the coil to give 12v to the ignition system when the key is in the start position. If I recall correctly you don't have power to the coil if that wire is not hooked up correctly. Just because you have power to the coil in the ON position, don't assume you have power to the coil in the START position!.
if the 2 wires that are on top of the solenoid are reversed it will not start. if the detent plate is worn in the steering column , you may have to lift up on shifter for car to start or try starting in neutral. if all else fails, you could try hot wiring it to see if it will start.

Sounds like a dumb question, but since people writing and reading threads may use different terminology, was the starter cranking the engine over without the engine starting or does the engine not crank over when you place the key in the start position?

two laws of stuff. Murphy's law of what can go wrong will and then there is the forehead slapping axiom; that the problem that is the most obvious solution is the answer but we want to hunt down the rabbit hole of going too deep. Wish I could site the phrase.
Does he have spark from the coil wire? If so the wiring is correct. I'd pop the distributor cap and look inside. Clean everything. My dad pulled a trick on his brother that borrowed his car for a date. He ran pencil lines down from the contacts in the cap to the base so the spark went to ground instead of the plugs. A lesson that has paid off for me.

if the 2 wires that are on top of the solenoid are reversed it will not start. if the detent plate is worn in the steering column , you may have to lift up on shifter for car to start or try starting in neutral. if all else fails, you could try hot wiring it to see if it will start.
I'm going to give that a try and I'll post an update I've targeted all of the common points there was a bad connection on passenger side where the harness went through the firewall it happens o have the resistor wire that was the bad connection then the wires at the starter solenoid were and still are spliced with a different color wire then the stock or (normal) colors also the starter was bad and the alternator was wired wrong then from there the voltage regulator wiring was also not routed correctly it's been a very interesting venture all cramped into maybe 3 days lol I've never touched a tbird but like always I'm a wiz thanks guys for your help I'm gonna try to see if I have power while cranking to coil then jump the column switch

Back