1964 interchangeable with 1966 booster

Maxx_basher

Maxx_basher

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
hello ,
being in autralia parts are not quite thick on the ground here. i was hoping to know if a booster of a 1966 thunderbird will fit my 1964 using the standard mastercylinder. i have already purchased a new master cylinder so i would really like to stick with that. i have found a reconditioned 66 booster here for sale locally if everyone thinks it will work.

thank you in advance

If the bolt pattern is the same the measurement between the rod in the booster and the plunger in the master cylinder has to be the same. You can take measurements before you put it together. Also the clearance where the pedal attaches to the booster.

Thank you for the response. all the mounting bolts location wise front and rear are the same. the new booster and myself are about 14hours apart so measuring is a little dificult. i do really appriciate you taking the time to respond. my current booster is a midland ross so i was hoping if some one may have attempted this swap before i take the internet plunge and buy something that wont fit. thanks again

First off I know nothing specific about these parts, but I will suggest some caution . . .

'65 was the first year for front disc brakes on Thunderbirds so there's a very good chance Ford updated other brake system parts as well.
The '65+ Birds most likely have a dual bowl master cylinder, not the same as '64 and earlier.

Last edited:
no dual system 67 or 68 for dual system

As stated above, there may be substantial differences between the boosters. Before you do this I would suggest that you go to this website, http://www.karpspb.com/ and contact them and ask questions about the two boosters. This is Karps Power Brake company (I have no financial interest) and I use them for my power brake rebuilds. He can tell you if this will work based on information on your original booter and the replacement booster you may want to use. If you don't contact him, contact another expert because just fitting is only part of the equation, it also needs to work and be safe. Good luck on your project!

Back