1964 front disc brakes

L

larry tbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm changing my 1964 front drum brakes to disc brakes. The question is what year dual master cylinder do I need to bolt up to my 1964 booster? I read somewhere that a 1967 master for a mustang will work. Thanks for the help, Larry.

I'm changing my 1964 front drum brakes to disc brakes. The question is what year dual master cylinder do I need to bolt up to my 1964 booster? I read somewhere that a 1967 master for a mustang will work. Thanks for the help, Larry.
That will do it

57tbird, yes the support brace will have to be modified. I'm just wondering about the fit of the master to the booster, if it will work with the '64 booster and what year dual master cylinder I need. I read some where a 1967 mustang master was used. And the '64 booster was used. And at this point I'm not to worried about the brace, I'm just trying to save money and not replace a good working booster. Thanks, Larry.

ABS sells a dual master designed to fit under the stock brace. I bought one a while back but have not installed it yet. Of course re-doing brake lines will be required and an apportioning valve as well. Here's the website link:

I have a ‘64 Convertible that is modified and I drive it hard. 2 years ago I purchased a front disc conversion from Thunderbird Headquarters right after I had replaced the stock booster and master cylinder (and all the brake lines). I know it’s “safer” to install a dual master cylinder, but I didn’t want the expense of redoing much of what I had just bought. When I bought the disc conversion, they told me that it was designed to work with the stock master cylinder, and that a proportioning valve wasn’t even needed. I was reluctant to believe this, but I installed it anyway WITHOUT any regrets. It has worked flawlessly ever since, and the heavy convertible stops on a dime!

if you reline your brakes with velvetouch linings there's no reason to spend the $ on discs.

velvetouch is very heat-resistant/anti fade compared to factory linings; they'll require a bit more pedal pressure. why put on discs if you're not going to do many track events? I even ran a Pittsburgh vintage race with velvetouch on my '55 with no brake problems

Back