1964 electronic ignition module

64ZCODE

64ZCODE

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all. I understand that some, but not all, '64 T Birds had electronic ignition. For those that do, where is the module located? I'm looking but not finding one under the dash or in the engine bay. If the car doesn't have electronic ignition then I'm good with that, would just like to know one way or the other. Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Electronic ignition was an option in 1964. It's located under the dash, but I don't know exactly where. I also don't know how well they hold up over 50-some years. Electrolytics go bad over time, and germanium transistors can get persnickety. My car has conventional ignition -- but has been retrofitted with Pertronix. I highly recommend this.

Thanks Gary. If my car does happen to have electronic ignition, I'll either bypass it right away or determine how to bypass it on the fly should it fail on the road. Something about a 54 year old transistor that does not inspire confidence...

Also, agree the Petronix is a great way to go. I did that on a '69 Galaxie we own, along with a higher voltage coil, 8.5mm MSD wires to get more of the spark to the plugs, increased spark plug gap, and a spark box that delivers three sparks for each power stroke of the pistons at lower rpms. Engine runs smoother and it made a significant difference in horsepower and torque without more expensive upgrades to intake manifold, heads, cam shaft, etc.

Back